Thread: Color match Q

Feedback Score

Color match Q

Guys,

In terms of information, this is the best forum I've ever visited.

As a NYer, I've been jumping through hoops (unsuccessfully) trying to get a NY legal 6920.

I got real close today...but then the guy told me that the 6920 upper that he had and the preban lower that he had were different colors. Black 6920...gray preban lower.

I've read here that guys either rub lube on the lower or rub it with something called a silicone cloth to help turn the lower black.

What's the story on this?

Is there a better way?

Feedback Score
    Hmm.. Interesting. I'm sure someone has come up with a method that works, but I would THINK that rubbing it with any type of lube, will only be temporary. If you rub oil on some black anodized parts, it will darken them, but after a while, it just rubs off, and lightens up again.
    Now a silicone based cloth, or other silicone lube, would probably last a little longer, but I don't know if it would be permanent.

Feedback Score
    Some type of gun paint or Krylon would be the way to go.
    Im Shihan of Shihan Gear.

Feedback Score
    Why worry?
    Do you plan to look at it or shoot it?

When I shot mine AR I only see the red dot.

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    If looks are important....
    "Rattle can" that sucker then shoot it!

If it were me.... I'd shoot it and appreciate the fact that its a pre-ban and not give a rats ass about what it looks like.

Christ man, you ought to see some of the rifles I have. They look like they were dropped from a Huey onto a Abrams test trak... But, by gosh they shoot and I'd go into battle any day of the week with them.
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGhostRider View Post
    If it were me.... I'd shoot it and appreciate the fact that its a pre-ban and not give a rats ass about what it looks like.
    Yep.

At the very least, buying it would take the pressure off getting a pre-ban lower. Colt gray uppers are always popping up for sale if you're willing to look... of course there are various shades of Colt gray too.

Quick Karl Guest
    Or... you could have the thing DuraCoated:

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoa...k&Category=220