Thread: BCM lw BFH barrel vs. Standard govt. profile barrel(all things considered)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

BCM lw BFH barrel vs. Standard govt. profile barrel(all things considered)

Planning a 14.5 build and have some technical questions.

I've read over a over that if you want to shoot at higher rates of speed then go with standard/govt profile barrel because it doesn't get hot as fast. But the logic here seems flawed in that yes it will take longer to get hot but will also take much longer to dissipate the heat once it is hot. Am I right?

Second, people say (mostly assume) that once the lightweight barrel IS hot, it is less accurate than a govt. profile barrel is.... I could see this being true IF a government profile barrel were the same .750ish diameter the the entire length of the barrel instead of basically being a "lightweight profile" from the gasblock to the receiver leaving the heavy end ass backwards to cause more barrel sag at higher temps than a lightweight barrel would... Or is it my logic that is backward?

While we are talking about heat, and "getting hot faster" on a lightweight barrel, since most people's support hand placement is behind the gasblock anyway does heat really matter from a comfort standpoint since that section of either barrel would be equally hot under a rail?

And finally IF the govt profile barrel does in fact hold accuracy better at higher temps from rapid strings of fire. Would getting a BFH lw barrel correct that problem by adding stiffness and in the end being better all around than a standard govt profile barrel?

I did do a search btw coming up with only the following thread which did not answer any of these specific questions
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ight=Lw+barrel
    Last edited by mikeith; 11-01-13 at 22:41.