Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draw times

Feedback Score

Draw times

I was doing some pistol work today from concealment with a zippered jacket. Iwb, jacket zipped. Lifting edge of jacket in front of gun and sweeping back, drawing etc. Starting with hands in pocket looking down, and not in a firing stance, I was regularly 2sec from beep to first round fired. Using a 5” 1911. How is that? Distance from 5yds - 20yds 90% a zone hits with first round. Should I be ok with that or try to speed it up a little more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My expectation of 1st shot draw times at 20 yds is going to be considerably slower than at 5 yds- with 90% “A’s”.
    I’m having trouble visualizing your description of; “….jacket zipped, ………sweeping back, drawing…”.
    I’d consider 2 sec A zone hit at 5 yds relatively slow (1.5 sec. as standard) and relatively quick at 20 yds. (2.5 sec. A zone)-with zippered outer garment.
    Is IWB position at 3/4 o’clock?
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I guess it wasn’t sweeping back, more lifting jacket then bringing hand back. Jacket is somewhat tight at the bottom. And pistol is 4oclock carry

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Got it.
    Have you given AIWB a fair shot?
    I’m old and carried IWB 3 or 4 o’clock for ever. However AIWB allows for more efficient draw stroke with cover garment; less movement required. Also more efficient holster position for seated/driving.
    It was difficult for me to make that transition, but it certainly has benefits.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Got it.
    Have you given AIWB a fair shot?
    I’m old and carried IWB 3 or 4 o’clock for ever. However AIWB allows for more efficient draw stroke with cover garment; less movement required. Also more efficient holster position for seated/driving.
    It was difficult for me to make that transition, but it certainly has benefits.
    So much this. Especially shines in winter, much faster and easier to get the gun out.

From concealment, I am always faster from AIWB, no matter the season.

For me, in similar clothing configuration, AIWB as I usually carry, my avg. for 1st shot in "A"/"O" @ 7 yards is 1.54 lately. We can get that to 1.2ish @ 3-5 yards.

Agreed that farther out, you'll necessarily be taking a bit more time. I haven't timed myself on a hit @ 20 yards in a good while.

I think as long as you're meeting the 2 second standard, that's good, but I think you do want to be faster close-in.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    So much this. Especially shines in winter, much faster and easier to get the gun out.

From concealment, I am always faster from AIWB, no matter the season.

For me, in similar clothing configuration, AIWB as I usually carry, my avg. for 1st shot in "A"/"O" @ 7 yards is 1.54 lately. We can get that to 1.2ish @ 3-5 yards.

Agreed that farther out, you'll necessarily be taking a bit more time. I haven't timed myself on a hit @ 20 yards in a good while.

I think as long as you're meeting the 2 second standard, that's good, but I think you do want to be faster close-in.
    When driving and carrying AIWB I slip the seatbelt between body and grip of pistol.
    This allows quick access to pistol without fighting seatbelt, arm rest or seat.
    Carrying 3 or 4 o’clock IWB was a cluster trying to draw from seated/buckled in position.

Feedback Score

Draw times

I’m not big, I could stand to lose 10lbs or a, and carry full size 1911s. How will that be aiwb?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I’m not big, I could stand to lose 10lbs or a, and carry full size 1911s. How will that be aiwb?

Slide length being only possible downside. Depends on body/Torso proportions.
    I carry a “Commander” length 2011 and it’s no problem. I do have a bit of a gut too.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I just stumbled into AIWB carry. I was walking into the movie last week and said to myself, I'll just toss my gun in my A while I get into the movie. Then when in the movie, I sat down and was comfortable then I kept it in.......

I'm very surprised how much I like it. Late bloomer

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Sounds like I need to find a good aiwb.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast