Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Steel plates for Targets?

Feedback Score
    Mostly because I don't own property that I can shoot on. My local range might get shitty if I keep leaving holes in the turf downrange.
    They make a base that the T post slips into. I got one for an indoor range I shoot at. It's even adjustable for angles so if the ground is uneven or sloped the base can be adjusted to keep the post plumb and the weight centered over the base. Very sturdy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinconco View Post
    They make a base that the T post slips into. I got one for an indoor range I shoot at. It's even adjustable for angles so if the ground is uneven or sloped the base can be adjusted to keep the post plumb and the weight centered over the base. Very sturdy.

[IMG][/IMG]
    I had no idea that even existed.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Hang Fast Targets makes it so easy I'm not sure why anyone would spend all that time with angles, 2 x 4's chains and straps. T posts are like 5 bucks and Home Depot has them..... tough as nails

Pound in the post, hang the target and shoot... KISS

[IMG][/IMG]
    That's why I was looking at the Steel Ops targets. They use the target itself to set the post into the ground, so I don't need a hammer. Its a two piece system. They include the post with target so I dont have to go shopping for a post. I didn't even realize they use AR-550 too until the other member mentioned it. I have no idea how much that matters, I've shot at AR-500 before and it seemed to hold up fine, but maybe the 550 has more stopping power? Who knows. I'm really hoping to find someone who's bought from Steel Ops before. I'm from Colorado and thats where they're based so thats appealing to me. They have good reviews but I'm skeptical of any company that only has good things posted ya know lol. I compared the prices and for the approximately the same size targets and here's what I got:
    Hangfast.JPGSteel Ops T3RX.jpg

Feedback Score
    I have a few www.defensetargets.com formerly RSR Steel.

Solid targets, well balanced base and hanger. just add a 2x4.

180 bucks shipped is pretty darn cheap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by travistheone View Post
    I have a few www.defensetargets.com formerly RSR Steel.

Solid targets, well balanced base and hanger. just add a 2x4.

180 bucks shipped is pretty darn cheap.
    Cool, yeah I'll check them out as well.

Feedback Score
    That's why I was looking at the Steel Ops targets. They use the target itself to set the post into the ground, so I don't need a hammer. Its a two piece system. They include the post with target so I dont have to go shopping for a post.
    Steel Ops bolt the hanging system to the back of the target plate which deadens the sound of a hit resulting in a "THUD" instead of the satisfying CLANG !!

And they cost almost double of the Hang Fast. T Posts are 5 bucks and a T Post driver is less than 20.

KISS....

Feedback Score
    Steel Ops bolt the hanging system to the back of the target plate which deadens the sound of a hit resulting in a "THUD" instead of the satisfying CLANG !!

And they cost almost double of the Hang Fast. T Posts are 5 bucks and a T Post driver is less than 20.

KISS....
    Lol, I'm not trying to argue but for the same size plate the prices aren't double. I'm looking at the full size silhouette targets that I mentioned above, not gongs. The Hangfast was more expensive than the Steel Ops by like $30 and requires the post. Hangfast does have free shipping which is cool. I get that a T Post is only 5 bucks, its having to drive 45 minutes into to town that sucks for me. I live in BFE. They both bolt to a bracket that attaches to the post so I'm betting the sound is about the same. Anyway, they both look like great systems. I'll definitely consider both along with the other suggestions. I'll post pics of whatever I decide on. Thanks for the input and if anyone has purchasing experiences I'd still love to hear em!

Feedback Score

KISS....

The T-Post is a great option if you are shooting on land you can pound stuff into. At my club that would be frowned upon for sure. Not to mention that cold weather can make it nearly impossible. What if you want to move the target position? Great value but not applicable to every situation. If I had a home range that would be great.

Edit- just saw your post with the base. I suspect that changes the price as well. Looks good.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Hang Fast Targets makes it so easy I'm not sure why anyone would spend all that time with angles, 2 x 4's chains and straps. T posts are like 5 bucks and Home Depot has them..... tough as nails

Pound in the post, hang the target and shoot... KISS

How well do T posts hold up to hits themselves? Do rounds not ricochet off of them? I'm asking because I honestly don't know and hadn't seen that option before.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    How well do T posts hold up to hits themselves? Do rounds not ricochet off of them? I'm asking because I honestly don't know and hadn't seen that option before.
    T Posts are forged steel and fairly brittle. I have a range in my back yard that stretches 500 yards and have set up these T post targets from 10 yards all the way out. I have a woods walk set up with over 50 targets, all T post types. I've been shooting this setup for almost 10 years and have yet to shoot one in half. That said, I have knocked the "T" part off in chunks and I have heard that they can break but I have yet to break one. Even if you do break one you just end up with a shorter target post. The hang fast hanger is designed to hold the plate in front of the hanger (and the post it mounts on) which protects it from bullet damage so the only damage you will have on the post is high over the plate and under it. Setting more targets on the post will protect it better but THEY'RE SO CHEAP.... what's the point?

In the 10 years I've been shooting them I haven't noticed any ricochet problem. Handgun bullet will spall against them and some rifle bullets will knock a chunk out. I have seen .223 bullets actually spall against the post too.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast