Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-15 VS SIG 556

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SigSlave View Post
    A new production Sig 556 should not be in the same sentence as the words "reliable" or "SHTF".

Buy an AR.
    Exactly.

There are many quality factory offerings available from Colt, BCM, DD, etc.

For $2K I would purchase the Colt 6920 Magpul-FDE or a BCM equivalent, throw on an Aimpoint Pro over the Eotech (better battery life and durability), buy a good light from Surefire or Streamlight, and get a quality VCAS sling. This should put you well in your price range and you will have a quality carbine which is gtg with some left over for ammo and magazine rebuild kits . Once you have your carbine go take a class. If you want to spend a little for an upgraded trigger, look at the Geissele G2S.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 11-02-13 at 23:21.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SigSlave View Post
    A new production Sig 556 should not be in the same sentence as the words "reliable" or "SHTF".

Buy an AR.
    In 2002 I was centcom's armorer at Macdill. The PSD guys had some 552s by Sig. If the 556 is as reliable as they were Id rather have a DPMS.

Feedback Score
    Colt LE6920 IN FDE can be had for anywhere from $1197 at my local Walmart to probably about $1500 elsewhere and slap an aimpoint pro on top for about $450. Then buy ammo and practice...

Sent from my NSA Monitoring Device using Tapatalk 2.

Feedback Score
    The rifle isn't what's going to save you in the situations you expect. Your training and that thing between your ears will. Get a good rifle,ammo and start taking some classes.
    Spelling courtesy of autofill. Get over it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I live in 'Merica, so I haven't had to worry about silly AWB conformity for almost a decade now. I say that as a caveat that I might not be saying something exactly right. As I remember things, there was/is a list of "features" that an "assault weapon" possesses. You could have up to a certain number of features and be kosher under the law. I thought you could have TWO features, and still be legal.

If that's the case, I'd have my two features be a pistol grip and a detachable magazine forward of the firing grip/trigger assembly. Those are the two most important features for the rifle to function as intended. Stuff like flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, and collapsing stocks are less important.

If you're shooting properly, you're going to have your stock extended, so the fixed stock in A1 or A2 length doesn't hurt you there. Full length forends for better shooting negate the ability to use a bayonet lug, so you lose nothing again. I'd prefer a flash suppressor, but I'd take something like a BCM or Battlecomp if that's all I was legally allowed.

To use the rifle as intended, the most useful features are the grip (vs. one of those stupid angled abortions that prevent you from wrapping your thumb around the grip) and the detachable mag. If you need a tool to remove the mag, what's the point of an AR? It looks cool on the range, but it's like having a Ferrari with lawn mower tires and engine.

If I'm not mistaken, in the last year some company was advertising a Kali-legal rifle that is as I described. It had the features that mattered, and was compliant by getting rid of the ones that were lower on the totem pole. Or you could move East and live as a free(er) man.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Assuming they're ok in Cali just buy an SR-15. You can't get a better rifle for your money
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Funny how many of these threads turn into move out of cali and back to merica.
    Ambitious but rubbish

Feedback Score
    I've had a SIG556 for about four years and it is not as accurate
    off the bench as my Colt AR type but bench rest accuracy doesn't
    tell you much in a serious social situation,in which case I would
    take my SIG for worst case scenarios. I do like the fact they use
    same mags.I can actually shoot the SIG offhand at 200 better then
    my Colt,maybe just more practice! The Colt is over 2 lbs lighter.

Pete

CA. home built ARs=Where CHEAP isn't everything it's the
    ONLY thing! NRA Life 1974

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12