Thread: ATS Low Profile Chest Rig, Medical Pouch, & Triple M4 Shingle

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

ATS Low Profile Chest Rig, Medical Pouch, & Triple M4 Shingle

Late last summer I ordered an ATS low profile chest rig, medical pouch, and triple M4 magazine shingle.

I was looking at a couple different low profile platforms to carry a couple extra rifle magazines / pistol magazines / medical supplies. I wanted something that I could throw in my rifle bag for work.

At the time, the low profile chest rig was in the prototype stage and featured (4) open top M4 magazine pouches (covered in 8 channels of PALS webbing), an internal pocket, H-Harness shoulder strap.

I used the ATS Low Profile Chest Rig and Medical Pouch at Larry Vickers Carbine course in September.

The low profile chest rig (prototype) has (4) M4 mag pouches that are covered with 8 channels of PALS webbing. Each M4 mag pouch has an elastic bungee strap to secure the magazine and the mag pouch is also partially lined with a thin black rubber type material (Sure-Grip) that assists with retention when the bungee strap is not in use.

Initially I was a little apprehensive about the Sure-Grip lined magazine pouches. I thought the material may interfer with a smooth draw from the pouch. During the Vickers carbine class and training with the chest rig after the class, I had no problems accessing the magazines from the pouch. The M4 magazine pouches had zero issues with fit or draw of either USGI magazine or Magpul PMAGs.

The shoulder straps are made of 2" wide nylon webbing and the shoulder strap is configured in a H-Harness design. The nylon straps were low profile and comfortable. The only issue I had was horizontal strap that connected the two shoulder straps in the back was a little too wide for me. This was an easy fix, Darrin (Eggroll from www.extremegearlabs.com) was also attending the class and took the chest rig home one night after class and simply folded over and stitched down some of the extra material.

I think this platform would also lend it's self well to being used as a bandoleer for active shooter situations for law enforcement or a civilian who wanted to carry a few extra magazines in a rifle bag.

The ATS Low Profile Chest Rig shown below is no longer in production and has evolved into the current version of the Low Profile Chest Rig which can be seen here: http://www.atstacticalgear.com/istar...d=ATS-0034!ATS

I really like the design of the ATS Medical pouch. The ATS Medical Pouch looks like most other medical pouches I have used is a zippered clam shell design, lined with elastic nylon strips inside to hold misc. medical supplies. What sets the ATS Medical Pouch apart from other designs that I have used is that ATS pouch is a "tear away" design.

The ATS pouch is a 2 part system, the base retangular base that attaches to a MOLLE chest rig / vest / body armor is lined with velcro and has a flap that goes over the top of the pouch and a piece of webbing that goes under the bottom of the pouch. The upper flap and bottom webbing each contain a fastex buckle.

The velcro and fastex equiped flap / webbing hold the medical pouch in place. When access to the medical pouch is needed, simply disconnect the fastex buckle which exposes a red pull tab attached to the medical pouch, pull the tab to pull the velcro backed medical pouch away from the velcro lined MOLLE base.

It is much easier to access the medical supplies you need when the pouch is in your hand and you can see everything that is in the pouch, instead of trying to get what you need when the pouch is still mounted to your chest rig / body armor.

The ATS Triple M4 Mag Shingle is extreemly robust in construction, covered in 6 channels of PALS webbing, bungee cord for retention, and ATS' own L-Strap MOLLE fasteners. I found the L-Strap fasteners much more user friendly than other designs and very secure.

The pouches easily fit both USGI M4 magazines and Magpul PMAGs and the bungee straps fit mags with or without Magpul Ranger Plates. Good design, I really like it.

Low profile chest rig front (Tactical Tailor Triple Pistol Mag Pouch and ATS Medical Pouch attached):

Low profile chest rig rear:

ATS Medical Pouch unbuckled:

ATS Medical Pouch removed from MOLLE carrier:

ATS Medical Pouch and Triple M4 Magazine Shingle on an Eagle Ind. All MOLLE Chest Rig:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks Jeff. I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a small chest rig that holds three or four mags...

You wouldn't by any chance know if the 4-mag chest rig can hold '74 mags, would you?

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Thanks Jeff. I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a small chest rig that holds three or four mags...

You wouldn't by any chance know if the 4-mag chest rig can hold '74 mags, would you?

The newer version of this chest rig (3-mag) does look like it will fit '74 mags. :

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...1371097253/p/2

ATS makes a standard version chest right (4 mags) and the low profile chest rig (3-mags). I don't know if the mag pouch dimension on both rigs are the same or not.

Member StephenATS would be able to give you a definate answer.

S/F,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    AK74 mags work great in our MCH (Modular Chest Harness).

AK47 mags will fit too, but because of their curvature they don't draw straight up out of the pouch.

Last edited by Stephen_H; 05-04-08 at 13:23.

Feedback Score
    Our Low Profile Chest Harness was developed using feedback from guys like Jeff. The 4 Cell Chest Harness he reviewed here was a beta (basically one of our Modular Chest Harness' chopped down) that I sent out to several very active shooters to see what they liked, disliked, etc. The Low Profile Chest Harness was born of those critiques.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    A pic of the Low Profile Chest Rig without any gear on it (I had received a couple emails / PM's requesting to see the low profile chest rig without any pouches attached):

S/F,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    Any chance for something like this with a split front?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Any chance for something like this with a split front?
    We plan on doing our Modular Chest Harness in a split front, but it will probably be late this year.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    So is the four mag version discontinued? I just see the three mag version on the web site.