Thread: Colt lowers

Feedback Score

Colt lowers

Hey guys,

Are there significant differences between pre ban Colt lowers? Or...post ban, for that matter.

Match, Sport, or whatever they are.....I forget.

I'm looking to get the best preban lower I can. If not, I might be able to work something out with a new lower...but please try to give info on preban lowers for now.

• Forward take down pins?
    • Any lower parts that are stronger, bigger?
    • Sear block?

Forget about the stocks. That's covered.

If you can help me out ASAP, I can try to make the right phone calls on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. There are a few deals I'd like to make but can't till I figure this out.

It's a whole pre ban post ban thing I'm trying to work out with FFLs on my end. (NY) 6920 upper...... All too messed up to trouble you "free state" guys with.

P.S.
    It's a horror show!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Early preban Colt lowers where designed off of the M16 without the reinforced receiver extension area and those typically have a large front take down pin. All Colt lowers, IIRC, have some form of sear block.

Feedback Score
    There are several differences & they changed many times. Here are three examples that I have seen:

I have a mid '80's lower. As mentioned, it does not the reinforced receiver extension area (buffer tube area) & it also doesn't have a fence around the magazine release buttom ("slab side"). It has the large front pivot pin. There is no separate sear block. The right side of lower is just a little thicker at the rear of the receiver. (lower marked AR-15A2 Sporter II)

Another Colt lower from around 1990. It does have the reinforced receiver extention, mag button fence, but it still has large front pivot pin. It has a separate sear block. (Match Target Government Model)

And Colt lower from around 1993, same as 1990 lower except it has small front pivot pin. However, it does not have the detent pin to retain the front pivot pin. The pin is two screws just mil spec in diameter. I have seen where people had a hole drilled to add the detent pin so a mil spec front pivot pin could be used. lower marked (not sure on this lower, I believe it was a Match Target)

Finally, a post-ban from 2000 - same as 1993 version except now, uses mil spec front pivot pin & it does have the detent pin to retain the pivot pin. It doesn't have a sear block. A web is machined across the inside of the lower in the same location as the sear block. (Match Target M4 Carbine)
    Last edited by cqbdriver; 05-08-08 at 06:05. Reason: to add names for lowers