Thread: when to use V-max TAP

Feedback Score

when to use V-max TAP

I have a 16" Bushy with 1in9 barrel, and I am getting ready to order an LMT from G&R.

A while ago, I bought some Hornady 60gr TAP (red box LE in .223) for home-defense / SHTF use. It has been very accurate in my BM out to 100 yards. I have no longer range available to use.

Since I bought this ammo, I have picked up some Black Hills 68gr OTM and some BH 75gr OTM. Both have also been very accurate, although I had some issues with the 75gr when I shot in single-digit weather. However, my lack of accuracy could have been due to my being cold. After one mag of 75gr OTM's, I packed up and left.

After reading Ammo Oracle and other stickies on the AR15 re:ammo choices, I keep seeing that V-max rounds, including the hotter ballistic tip TAP loads, should be avoided for general defense and SHTF use. Not enough penetration.

I've seen the photos Grant supplied, showing around 10" for the 60gr TAP, but the consensus still seems to be to avoid the TAP and V-max loads for defense and stick with the heavier OTM and SMK loads.

I can understand a specialty round for use in a predetermined special situation (ie SWAT entry), but for general use, is there a place for the V-max TAP load? Under what circumstances would you choose to use a V-max TAP load rather than a heavier OTM load?

I am taking an urban rifle class next month, and I need ammo. As I have a fair supply of OTM's for stash, I am thinking of using up my TAP loads for the class. Yes, it's expensive range ammo, but if it means I don't have to buy additional range ammo, and if it really serves no defense / SHTF use for which my OTM's would be better, I may as well use it up.

Feedback Score
    I would feel very comfortable with 60 grain TAP. It would work fine except for barrier penetration, and while heavy OTMs perform better in those situations, they could hardly be graded as performing all that great.

I'd stay away from 50, 55 grain V-max, but 60 grain is getting heavy enough that you'll get good penetration. 68 grain OTM would be a tad better, 75 grain better yet if your barrel shoots it.

Feedback Score
    I know at 44 yards 55 TAP goes through a garage door and produces some really good damage to both the chest and head.
    "Respect all, fear none"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dpd View Post
    I know at 44 yards 55 TAP goes through a garage door and produces some really good damage to both the chest and head.

Do I want to ask?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Do I want to ask?

I don't it almost sounds like one of those 'hold my beer and watch this'.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I don't it almost sounds like one of those 'hold my beer and watch this'.
    This is why bios matter.

Feedback Score
    i'm curious abou this too. i use V-Max TAP in 4 magazines I keep around for home defense.

i haven't seen any data, but at least along my line of thinking, this seems like a good home defense load. i have no reason to back up my assumptions tho, so i'd like to hear what other people think.

i'm pretty sure an errant shot of 55 V-Max TAP will go through the exterior walls of my house, no problem.....but hopefully it wouldn't also go through any of my neighbors walls with any significant energy.

a bit off topic, but in my PS90 i use the Hornady V-Max projectiles too, because out of the two choices you have in civilian 5.7x28mm, the V-Max is actually the heavier one.