Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: pro's and con's of suppressed Glock for HD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    60
    Feedback Score
    0

    pro's and con's of suppressed Glock for HD

    Thinking about getting a can for either my G19 or G17. I will put a surefire light on it and CTC grips as well. I am thinking about this in terms of who will be using this setup the most - my wife and young son. I keep my personal G19 with me at all times- either in holster or on nightstand. I work strange hours that often means I'm gone most the several nights. I think this would be an effective setup as it would minimize the noise factor that my cause either my wife or son to hesitate. I posted the same on nother forum and it was almost universal against using a suppressor on a HD gun for various reasons. Any thoughts or does anyone use the above setup.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    1,047
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would not recommend it. If your wife or son will hesitate firing due to noise in the face of personal danger, then you need to work with them more (more training). All suppressors are dirty, and using one on a handgun inside a home for personal defense can result in a fair amout of blowback in the face of the operator, distracting them when they need not be distracted. Also, the added 6" or so to the end of the handgun is just more for someone to grab ahold of to take the gun away from them.

    The benefits don't outweight the cost.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    5,123
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Too long. Otherwise, would be fine in my mind.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    105
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    I would not recommend it. If your wife or son will hesitate firing due to noise in the face of personal danger, then you need to work with them more (more training). All suppressors are dirty, and using one on a handgun inside a home for personal defense can result in a fair amout of blowback in the face of the operator, distracting them when they need not be distracted. Also, the added 6" or so to the end of the handgun is just more for someone to grab ahold of to take the gun away from them.

    The benefits don't outweight the cost.
    I would put forth that the flash and bang of a non-suppressed handgun would be far more distracting than a little blowback (which may or may not be bad depending on the ammo) Plus, it does reduce recoil as well as noise and flash.

    Also, if a perp gets close enough to grab on to the suppressor, he is close enough to grab the gun and far too close to begin with.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,098
    Feedback Score
    0
    None of the suppressed Glocks I've seen work reliably. Granted, it's been like 4 years since I've seen a suppressed Glock and there may have been advances in tech., but I'd still be wary.

    A suppressed handgun isn't a bad idea though. Having actually fired a weapon indoors without hearing protection, the sound is absolutely deafening.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,684
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think a suppressed M4 would be better. just my .02
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

    "Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

    One Big Ass Mistake America

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    127
    Feedback Score
    0
    I personally think a silencer on a HD makes a lot of sense and I have them on mine. Both setup's below have given me zero problems and I can shoot them both comfortable indoors without any hearing protection.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northwest IN
    Posts
    3,119
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I second the comment that you DO NOT need to worry about blowback. I've left the range covered in deposits that I never noticed. Had I noticed them while shooting at my leisure, I would have not noticed them in a stress situation, I don't believe.

    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,974
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    What can/sights are you going to use? Make the wrong choice and they are point-shooting.

    I would prefer to equip my family members with something more effective and easier to shoot than a pistol. Things like carbines and 18" shotguns spring to mind.

    Regardless, hesitation to shoot due to noise will come after the shooting has started, not before. I would take the 1K you will pay for the can and transfer, buy a decent carbine or shotgun and some ammo, and train.

    But that's just me.
    Jack Leuba
    Military/Government Product Liaison
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

    Director of Training

    Jack@F2SConsulting.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,043
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I would take the 1K you will pay for the can and transfer, buy a decent carbine or shotgun and some ammo, and train.

    But that's just me.
    That's me too.

    A can on a 10.5" AR makes a lot of sense, though.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waverly, NY
    Posts
    299
    Feedback Score
    0
    How young is this "young son"? Can he handle a carbine or shotgun? If it's an itty bitty 10.5" ok, but yeah.

    I'd go for an M4, too. I love my Mossberg Tactical Cruiser, too, but it's got a lot of kick, not having a stock.

    Low light (night time) screams "SHOTGUN".

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    384
    Feedback Score
    0
    my HD gun is a suppressed G17 with TLR1 light. I put Meprolight adjustable night sights on it, and they clear the can.

    My only issue with it is length, but in that regard, it's much shorter than a SBR or shotgun.

    my combo has seen approx 3000 rounds and is very accurate and reliable. I've fired it in a confined space w/o hearing protection, and it's loud, but didn't ring my ears.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    5,123
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    None of the suppressed Glocks I've seen work reliably. Granted, it's been like 4 years since I've seen a suppressed Glock and there may have been advances in tech., but I'd still be wary.
    Hardly. A proper suppressor for the type of action would make a 100% reliable Glock/Suppressor combo.

    It sounds like maybe you saw some folks trying to use a non-LCD can on a Glock to be honest.

    I have the standard plastic groove fillers in the G17. It's not point shooting. You need to shoot with both eyes open, and superimpose your sights on the target.

    It's not precision shooting either!!! Though for the record @ 10yds I can put 18 shots in the head of a Q target every time.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,974
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
    My only issue with it is length, but in that regard, it's much shorter than a SBR or shotgun.
    Not to stir the pot too much but. . .
    Take a pistol, extend to a shooting stange and place the muzzle against the wall. Then mount your carbine without moving your feet. Usually the two will be very close in actual muzzle distance, and with a suppressed pistol the carbine may actually be shorter.

    Of course, the pistol can be brought in closer to the body and still used, but so can the carbine.

    Add to this the fact that a pistol with a suppressor mounted is easier to disarm/deflect than a carbine and you have another dilemma.

    I'm not sayin' anthing, I'm just sayin'. . .
    Jack Leuba
    Military/Government Product Liaison
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

    Director of Training

    Jack@F2SConsulting.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    384
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Not to stir the pot too much but. . .
    Take a pistol, extend to a shooting stange and place the muzzle against the wall. Then mount your carbine without moving your feet. Usually the two will be very close in actual muzzle distance, and with a suppressed pistol the carbine may actually be shorter.

    Of course, the pistol can be brought in closer to the body and still used, but so can the carbine.

    Add to this the fact that a pistol with a suppressor mounted is easier to disarm/deflect than a carbine and you have another dilemma.

    I'm not sayin' anthing, I'm just sayin'. . .
    No argument there...there's pros and cons to each platform. But IMO the more confined the environment, the more advantage the handgun has.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    217
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The advantage of a handgun is that it can be carried on your person. A handgun with a suppressor is much more difficult to carry. So if I'm not going to carry a gun, and I have to go run and get a gun out of my safe if I need one at home, I'm going to get a long gun, not a handgun.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waverly, NY
    Posts
    299
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think you can screw the suppressor on quick enough...just get a holster that has the little slot for the suppressor as well. I know I've seen 'em.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northwest IN
    Posts
    3,119
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    The advantage of a handgun is that it can be carried on your person. A handgun with a suppressor is much more difficult to carry. So if I'm not going to carry a gun, and I have to go run and get a gun out of my safe if I need one at home, I'm going to get a long gun, not a handgun.
    Are you really going to be carrying the suppressed pistol around the house in a holster in the middle of the night?

    I would probably have it in my hands and wouldn't have pants on to secure the holster to in the first place.

    Just my two cents.

    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    384
    Feedback Score
    0
    I modified one of my Safariland drop-leg holsters to accept the G17 with suppressor mounted. That being said, at night, the suppressed G17 is going to be fairly close at hand, and not in a holster. For close-confines, my first choice is the handgun, 2nd choice is an SBR, and 3rd choice is a shotgun.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    217
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Are you really going to be carrying the suppressed pistol around the house in a holster in the middle of the night?

    I would probably have it in my hands and wouldn't have pants on to secure the holster to in the first place.

    Just my two cents.
    No, that's my point. I wouldn't be carrying a holstered suppressed gun. So if I'm relying on a gun that I have to go run and get, or a gun that's sitting by my bedside, I'd rather go with a long arm than a suppressed pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •