Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pro's and con's of suppressed Glock for HD

Feedback Score

pro's and con's of suppressed Glock for HD

Thinking about getting a can for either my G19 or G17. I will put a surefire light on it and CTC grips as well. I am thinking about this in terms of who will be using this setup the most - my wife and young son. I keep my personal G19 with me at all times- either in holster or on nightstand. I work strange hours that often means I'm gone most the several nights. I think this would be an effective setup as it would minimize the noise factor that my cause either my wife or son to hesitate. I posted the same on nother forum and it was almost universal against using a suppressor on a HD gun for various reasons. Any thoughts or does anyone use the above setup.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would not recommend it. If your wife or son will hesitate firing due to noise in the face of personal danger, then you need to work with them more (more training). All suppressors are dirty, and using one on a handgun inside a home for personal defense can result in a fair amout of blowback in the face of the operator, distracting them when they need not be distracted. Also, the added 6" or so to the end of the handgun is just more for someone to grab ahold of to take the gun away from them.

The benefits don't outweight the cost.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Too long. Otherwise, would be fine in my mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    I would not recommend it. If your wife or son will hesitate firing due to noise in the face of personal danger, then you need to work with them more (more training). All suppressors are dirty, and using one on a handgun inside a home for personal defense can result in a fair amout of blowback in the face of the operator, distracting them when they need not be distracted. Also, the added 6" or so to the end of the handgun is just more for someone to grab ahold of to take the gun away from them.

The benefits don't outweight the cost.
    I would put forth that the flash and bang of a non-suppressed handgun would be far more distracting than a little blowback (which may or may not be bad depending on the ammo) Plus, it does reduce recoil as well as noise and flash.

Also, if a perp gets close enough to grab on to the suppressor, he is close enough to grab the gun and far too close to begin with.

Feedback Score
    None of the suppressed Glocks I've seen work reliably. Granted, it's been like 4 years since I've seen a suppressed Glock and there may have been advances in tech., but I'd still be wary.

A suppressed handgun isn't a bad idea though. Having actually fired a weapon indoors without hearing protection, the sound is absolutely deafening.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think a suppressed M4 would be better. just my .02
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    I personally think a silencer on a HD makes a lot of sense and I have them on mine. Both setup's below have given me zero problems and I can shoot them both comfortable indoors without any hearing protection.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I second the comment that you DO NOT need to worry about blowback. I've left the range covered in deposits that I never noticed. Had I noticed them while shooting at my leisure, I would have not noticed them in a stress situation, I don't believe.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    What can/sights are you going to use? Make the wrong choice and they are point-shooting.

I would prefer to equip my family members with something more effective and easier to shoot than a pistol. Things like carbines and 18" shotguns spring to mind.

Regardless, hesitation to shoot due to noise will come after the shooting has started, not before. I would take the 1K you will pay for the can and transfer, buy a decent carbine or shotgun and some ammo, and train.

But that's just me.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I would take the 1K you will pay for the can and transfer, buy a decent carbine or shotgun and some ammo, and train.

But that's just me.
    That's me too.

A can on a 10.5" AR makes a lot of sense, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast