Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pro's and con's of suppressed Glock for HD

Feedback Score
    How young is this "young son"? Can he handle a carbine or shotgun? If it's an itty bitty 10.5" ok, but yeah.

I'd go for an M4, too. I love my Mossberg Tactical Cruiser, too, but it's got a lot of kick, not having a stock.

Low light (night time) screams "SHOTGUN".

Feedback Score
    my HD gun is a suppressed G17 with TLR1 light. I put Meprolight adjustable night sights on it, and they clear the can.

My only issue with it is length, but in that regard, it's much shorter than a SBR or shotgun.

my combo has seen approx 3000 rounds and is very accurate and reliable. I've fired it in a confined space w/o hearing protection, and it's loud, but didn't ring my ears.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    None of the suppressed Glocks I've seen work reliably. Granted, it's been like 4 years since I've seen a suppressed Glock and there may have been advances in tech., but I'd still be wary.
    Hardly. A proper suppressor for the type of action would make a 100% reliable Glock/Suppressor combo.

It sounds like maybe you saw some folks trying to use a non-LCD can on a Glock to be honest.

I have the standard plastic groove fillers in the G17. It's not point shooting. You need to shoot with both eyes open, and superimpose your sights on the target.

It's not precision shooting either!!! Though for the record @ 10yds I can put 18 shots in the head of a Q target every time.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
    My only issue with it is length, but in that regard, it's much shorter than a SBR or shotgun.
    Not to stir the pot too much but. . .
    Take a pistol, extend to a shooting stange and place the muzzle against the wall. Then mount your carbine without moving your feet. Usually the two will be very close in actual muzzle distance, and with a suppressed pistol the carbine may actually be shorter.

Of course, the pistol can be brought in closer to the body and still used, but so can the carbine.

Add to this the fact that a pistol with a suppressor mounted is easier to disarm/deflect than a carbine and you have another dilemma.

I'm not sayin' anthing, I'm just sayin'. . .
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Not to stir the pot too much but. . .
    Take a pistol, extend to a shooting stange and place the muzzle against the wall. Then mount your carbine without moving your feet. Usually the two will be very close in actual muzzle distance, and with a suppressed pistol the carbine may actually be shorter.

Of course, the pistol can be brought in closer to the body and still used, but so can the carbine.

Add to this the fact that a pistol with a suppressor mounted is easier to disarm/deflect than a carbine and you have another dilemma.

I'm not sayin' anthing, I'm just sayin'. . .
    No argument there...there's pros and cons to each platform. But IMO the more confined the environment, the more advantage the handgun has.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The advantage of a handgun is that it can be carried on your person. A handgun with a suppressor is much more difficult to carry. So if I'm not going to carry a gun, and I have to go run and get a gun out of my safe if I need one at home, I'm going to get a long gun, not a handgun.

Feedback Score
    I think you can screw the suppressor on quick enough...just get a holster that has the little slot for the suppressor as well. I know I've seen 'em.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    The advantage of a handgun is that it can be carried on your person. A handgun with a suppressor is much more difficult to carry. So if I'm not going to carry a gun, and I have to go run and get a gun out of my safe if I need one at home, I'm going to get a long gun, not a handgun.
    Are you really going to be carrying the suppressed pistol around the house in a holster in the middle of the night?

I would probably have it in my hands and wouldn't have pants on to secure the holster to in the first place.

Just my two cents.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    I modified one of my Safariland drop-leg holsters to accept the G17 with suppressor mounted. That being said, at night, the suppressed G17 is going to be fairly close at hand, and not in a holster. For close-confines, my first choice is the handgun, 2nd choice is an SBR, and 3rd choice is a shotgun.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Are you really going to be carrying the suppressed pistol around the house in a holster in the middle of the night?

I would probably have it in my hands and wouldn't have pants on to secure the holster to in the first place.

Just my two cents.
    No, that's my point. I wouldn't be carrying a holstered suppressed gun. So if I'm relying on a gun that I have to go run and get, or a gun that's sitting by my bedside, I'd rather go with a long arm than a suppressed pistol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast