Thread: Option to not see GD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Option to not see GD

I am a reader not a big poster. I like to listen.
    There is no way I will hit 200 posts before my 100th birthday. To me GD is a distraction since this is a busy place with a lot of posts.
    On preferences, I can eliminate some areas on other Boards, is that possible here. I can't find it if it is.
    TIA
    jon

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I am currently not aware of any way to opt-out of viewing any active sub-board to which you otherwise have open access; however, as it is a relatively simple matter to simply avoid that area, and as it appears at the very bottom of the index (by design), I'm not entirely sure why this is being viewed as such an inconvenience.

Is this more related to the fact that you see unwanted GD posts when accessing "New Posts" or viewing the new "Activity Stream," perhaps?

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Use this link to get new posts, but exclude GD. There's a thread here somewhere on why this works, and how to use it to exclude others as well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    ..... and as it appears at the very bottom of the index (by design), I'm not entirely sure why this is being viewed as such an inconvenience.

Is this more related to the fact that you see unwanted GD posts when accessing "New Posts" or viewing the new "Activity Stream," perhaps?

AC
    Certainly. IMHO its a huge inconvenience. I guess everyone accesses forums differently, but IMHO the preference of many, or most, is via "New Posts" since this is obviously the best way to avoid wading through already-read content. "New Posts" dumps a lot a inflammatory, stupid, or pointless posts into one's "feed", and GD on M4C in particular has more than its share of that. I agree with the OP that it would be extremely convenient to block individual forums from "New Posts" but that's a feature that I've never seen as part of any discussion forum software.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    See above for a manual solution. Good work-around there -- I continually forget about that.

Since GD is sub-board #60, the "exclude" variable just removes it from active searches.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Use this link to get new posts, but exclude GD. There's a thread here somewhere on why this works, and how to use it to exclude others as well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60
    Very cool! Thank you.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    AC, Skintop911: You want this thread to be a sticky? All in favor say "aye".

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Makes sense to me; especially since I'm the one that keeps forgetting to point folks to the "exclude" option.

AC

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Makes sense to me; especially since I'm the one that keeps forgetting to point folks to the "exclude" option.

AC
    It's done.