Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 18" Rifle Length Gas Barrel Options?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    Definitely a top notch barrel. Love mine. It stacks bullets!
    It definitely surpassed my expectations.
    Attachment 29059

Feedback Score
    My SPR Rainier UM barrel is also awesome.
    Good to hear yours is treating you well.

Feedback Score
    Add another happy owner of a Rainier UltraMatch SPR barrel.

.5 MOA all day as long as I'm doing my part.

Under 3/4 MOA at 300:

Last edited by thecolter; 10-26-14 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting thread! I was originally looking at the SPR barrels from NorthTech but I can't find any info on their accuracy. So, now I'm torn between the Rainier ultra match SPR and the Noveske SPR.

Between the Wylde chamber in the Ultramatch and the proprietary Noveske mod 0 chamber, which one is tighter? Also, if only shooting reloads using RCBS "AR" dies in the black box, would those rounds be .223 or 5.56?

So many damn good barrel choices makes it hard to decide

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    Interesting thread! I was originally looking at the SPR barrels from NorthTech but I can't find any info on their accuracy. So, now I'm torn between the Rainier ultra match SPR and the Noveske SPR.

Between the Wylde chamber in the Ultramatch and the proprietary Noveske mod 0 chamber, which one is tighter? Also, if only shooting reloads using RCBS "AR" dies in the black box, would those rounds be .223 or 5.56?

So many damn good barrel choices makes it hard to decide
    The Ultramatch will be every bit as accurate the Noveske and save you some coin. Mine shoots consistent .5moa groups with my 77gr handloads. I love older Noveske products, but a lot of it is way overpriced.

There is no need for the "AR-series" dies. They are just small base dies that overwork the brass. If you want a tight chamber, use regular full-length dies. But remember, a tight chamber doesn't necessarily make a more accurate rifle... my 16" 1/9 CL barrel is looser than those Kardashian sisters and it shoots sub-moa with the same 77gr handloads referenced above. By standard belief, this barrel should shoot 2-3moa and keyhole 77gr bullets.

FWIW, 5.56 and 223 are dimensionally the same. The only difference is pressure in each respective chamber. Read this: http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...hats-in-a-name

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Ultramatch will be every bit as accurate the Noveske and save you some coin. Mine shoots consistent .5moa groups with my 77gr handloads. I love older Noveske products, but a lot of it is way overpriced.

There is no need for the "AR-series" dies. They are just small base dies that overwork the brass. If you want a tight chamber, use regular full-length dies. But remember, a tight chamber doesn't necessarily make a more accurate rifle... my 16" 1/9 CL barrel is looser than those Kardashian sisters and it shoots sub-moa with the same 77gr handloads referenced above. By standard belief, this barrel should shoot 2-3moa and keyhole 77gr bullets.

FWIW, 5.56 and 223 are dimensionally the same. The only difference is pressure in each respective chamber. Read this: http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...hats-in-a-name
    "Looser than the kardashian sisters" Hahaha.

But thank you for the good info. I know that a tighter chamber doesn't automatically mean more accuracy but I was just thinking that generally it would produce better groupings. And .5 MOA is much more than I need. I'm just hoping to be able to get fairly consistent .75ish MOA five shot groups after getting a handload tuned up.

It looks like the Utramatch is the way I'm going to go. Would there be any reason to go with and adjustable gas block if I will not be shooting suppressed? How are those UM barrels gassed?

Also, do you think that the small base dies can have a negative impact on accuracy? I've been loading my 7.62 with small base dies as well as my .223 since I started reloading
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 10-27-14 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You don't need an adjustable gas block on a rifle gassed barrel. If you have the extra coin, go for it. You should get a reduction in felt recoil, though it will be marginal. Mine is an intermediate gas and it shoots pretty dang soft, but I do plan on getting an adjustable gas block at some point. I don't NEED it, but I saw how big of a difference it made with my carbine.

FWIW, I have a 14.5 carbine gas with an adjustable gas block and it shoots like a 22LR. 100% unsuppressed. It made a world of difference.

Small base dies don't really have any impact on accuracy. I just don't like how they overwork the brass.

Feedback Score
    You don't need an adjustable gas block on a rifle gassed barrel. If you have the extra coin, go for it. You should get a reduction in felt recoil, though it will be marginal. Mine is an intermediate gas and it shoots pretty dang soft, but I do plan on getting an adjustable gas block at some point. I don't NEED it, but I saw how big of a difference it made with my carbine.

FWIW, I have a 14.5 carbine gas with an adjustable gas block and it shoots like a 22LR. 100% unsuppressed. It made a world of difference.

Small base dies don't really have any impact on accuracy. I just don't like how they overwork the brass.
    I'll second that you don't 'need' an adjustable gas block. My Rainier rifle-length UltraMatch barrel shoots soft un-suppressed with my gas block opened all the way. However, it is nice to be able to tune it down when running the suppressor. This keeps the blowback down and softens the recoil when shooting with the suppressor installed. I also have the setting noted where it runs 100% unsuppressed and has very little felt recoil.

So, although it's not a requirement, it is nice to have.
    Last edited by thecolter; 10-27-14 at 20:23.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. Think I'm going with the Ultrammatch 18 inch, URX 3.1 13.5" rail and Vltor MUR receiver. I'm going to use my lower from my other rifle that has a SD-E trigger, SOPMOD and H2 buffer (which I might have to change to H1). I'm excited.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. Think I'm going with the Ultrammatch 18 inch, URX 3.1 13.5" rail and Vltor MUR receiver. I'm going to use my lower from my other rifle that has a SD-E trigger, SOPMOD and H2 buffer (which I might have to change to H1). I'm excited.
    I think you'll be well served. I ran an H2 buffer with that barrel and it ran just fine. I eventually went to an H6 from damage industries. Not much percieved difference.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast