Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 30S "ready for prime time?"

Feedback Score

Is the Glock 30S "ready for prime time?"

I used the search function here and found little info on the Glock 30S.

Does anybody here have one? Is it reliable enough for daily carry?

I know the G21 seems to be pretty reliable as is the G30. There are some that curse the G36, although I have borrowed a buddy's and loved the way it shot and it did not jam on me at all.

Was the lighter slide on the G36 versus the G30 what did the G36 in as being unreliable?

I would just like to know if anyone has one...has run a number of rounds through it...and is carrying a G30S. Larry Vickers shot one on Tac TV a few weeks ago and said good things about it. The gun mags all like it but we know that is never a good source as to what makes a good carry gun.

I like the idea of it and it is really just a tad thicker than my G19 but if I hear enough bad feedback...I will avoid it and just stick with the G19.

Thanks in advance for the answers,

-Brickboy240

Feedback Score
    I've been wondering the same thing as I like the 30S concept over 30 or 36. Good post. Hopefully answers will be forthcoming.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I am pretty much "married" to the 3rd gen Glock 19 for carry. I tested mine for about 1500rds before I decided it was "ready for prime time" or for carry.

I figured that with all the Glock disciples around...somebody has to have bought a G30S and wringed it out by now.

I have two average 1911s that I am thinking about ditching for some sort of 45 to alternate carry with the G19. An old Springer GI and a Kimber TLE II. I would like to trade/sell them for a polymer 45 and since I am pretty much "married" to the Glock platform (with three Glocks already) the G30S is the most appealing.

I have looked at the HK45C and the mid-sized M&P45 but they ARE different from Glocks and if I can keep the same action but have a polymer striker 45 for carry...all the better.

I know there were many that had troubles with the Glock 36. If the G30S has the same problems....I don't want it. However I cannot find anyone with enough trigger time on the G30S to see if it is GTG as a viable carry gun.

Maybe somebody will post.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The G30s looks like a sweet little gun. I have not shot or handled one yet, but am always on the look at when I'm at the LGS.

I have read good things about them and seen a couple reviews in YouTube. It seems like they are good to go.

Feedback Score
    I have been trying to research what it was that made the G36 such a problem child - the thin slide (vs the G300 or the single stack frame and mag.

Have not found anyone on Glock Talk that bought a G30S and hated it....a good sign.

I really would like to stick to the Glock platform and not go to the HK45C or mid sized M&P45 for mid-sized "carry" 45.

The G30S seems like a thicker G19 in size.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I ask this only out of curiosity, not to criticize decisions about wanting to go with a G30S:

Have you tried a G30? What would keep you from carrying one, but accepting a G30S?

Personally, I'd be leary of any new iteration until it's been proven by reliable sources. The G30 (at least the Gen.3) is a proven performer. The slide lock spring is the only part I've ever heard owners having an issue with, and that's an easy and cheap fix. I've carried my G30 as a vest-mounted back up gun, off-duty and EDC gun for years. No questions about slide speed, mass, or reliability. It also takes the G21 magazines, which is my primary pistol to begin with.

Just curious why you guys would not choose the G30 as it currently stands.
    Pat
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    Actually, yes....just buying a G30 has crossed my mind. Although the slide is still on the chunky side.

It might actually be easier for me to FIND a G30 because the G30S is hard to find around here for some reason.

I actually like the thinned slide of the G36 and the wider frame/grip of the G30. Maybe with the right holster, I could hide a G30 as well as the 30S..who knows?

I run a G19 in a Raven Phantom holster and have NO problems hiding that...I would need to research hiding the G30 in the same style holster...but nope...the G30 is definitely not out of the running for me at all.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    Actually, yes....just buying a G30 has crossed my mind. Although the slide is still on the chunky side.

It might actually be easier for me to FIND a G30 because the G30S is hard to find around here for some reason

-brickboy240
    Go to the woodlands show nov 23 & 24
    it (30s) will be there for around $540
    At least it was at the first show there.
    Last edited by filthy phil; 11-14-13 at 14:59.
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I am a long time G19 owner and it was my EDC pistol for as long as I have had my CCW. Since 2008. I purchased a 30s this summer and took it to the range as soon as I could. It is every bit as reliable as the G19, G21, G30, etc. I love this gun. It shoots wonderful and fits my hand perfectly. It is slightly smaller than the 19 although the frame is a hair wider. The slide is about the same width but it is shorter. Needless to say, my new EDC pistol is my 30s. I carry IWB with an all leather G19 holster. (The 30s will not fit in all G19 holsters.) It is just enough smaller that I think it conceals better than my G19 in the same holster. The only downfall I see is capacity, 10+1 vs 15+1. Anyway I think it was a great idea for a pistol and I will be keeping my for a very long time. Just my $.02

For those who aren't aware, the 30s is basically a 30sf with a 36 slide. I don't think it shares a barrel from the 36 due to the 30s being double stack instead of single stack.
    Last edited by jeepcjvii; 11-14-13 at 15:23.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcjvii View Post
    I am a long time G19 owner and it was my EDC pistol for as long as I have had my CCW. Since 2008. I purchased a 30s this summer and took it to the range as soon as I could. It is every bit as reliable as the G19, G21, G30, etc. I love this gun. It shoots wonderful and fits my hand perfectly. It is slightly smaller than the 19 although the frame is a hair wider. The slide is about the same width but it is shorter. Needless to say, my new EDC pistol is my 30s. I carry IWB with an all leather G19 holster. (The 30s will not fit in all G19 holsters.) It is just enough smaller that I think it conceals better than my G19 in the same holster. The only downfall I see is capacity, 10+1 vs 15+1. Anyway I think it was a great idea for a pistol and I will be keeping my for a very long time. Just my $.02

For those who aren't aware, the 30s is basically a 30sf with a 36 slide. I don't think it shares a barrel from the 36 due to the 30s being double stack instead of single stack.
    This looks like the best advice you are likely to get, very good overview. OP you have to remember, according to Glock, the G30S has been in the hands of law enforcement in L.A., and I've been told NM, and AZ for a few years before they released it to the public. SO if that is true, the gun has paid it's dues as far as reliability goes. I personally am waiting for the Gen 4 30s due to the fact I have smaller hands and like the larger magazine release and grip texture. The Glock 30 is one of my very favorite handguns, very few manufacturers come close to producing a well performing mid-size 10+1 45ACP.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast