Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 30S "ready for prime time?"

Feedback Score
    Yes, all of this is good to know. Thanks for posting.

I was going to get rid of two 1911s that are sub standard and I rarely shoot them.

I have the 9mm category down pretty well with a G17, G19, Hi-Power and an old SIG P228.

The only other 45s I have are two older Colts that I would never carry.

Wanted to consider a 45 to swap out with the G19 sometimes (especially in winter when I have a coat to hide it) and the G30S came up.

I have borrowed a buddy's G36 several times and was shocked at how controllable it is. Tons better than most "officers" sized 1911s.

Other than the G30, the only other "worthy" carry 45s seem to be the HK45C, HK USP45 Compact or the mid-sized M&P45. Then...along came the G30S.

I think I am still going to ditch the two 1911s and will just look harder at both the G30 and G30S. I mainly wanted to make sure I was not getting into a Glock like the 36 that many had troubles with. It is no secret that the G36 is probably Glock's most troublesome pistol. It is also no secret that the G21 and G30 have been pretty trouble free for most owners.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    I have, or have had quite a few Glocks, including all the 45's, with the exception of the 30s, which is on my "must have" list. FWIW, I owned one of the very early G36's, and carry a 36 of recent manufacture at present. Both of my G36's have been the complete equal of any of my other Glocks in terms of reliability. NEVER a bobble with either. Great little carry 45's, but if your hand size allows, the 36s would be a no-brainer for me. Four more rounds with the only downside being a comfortably wider grip.

Skip

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The Glock 30S was specially designed for LAPD, they wanted something easy to conceal with maximum take down power. THis article may shed some light http://americanhandgunner.com/the-glock-30s/. I plan on getting one and have rented one at local range. Follow up shots were much easier than I expected from such a compact package.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Actually the G30S wasn't actaully a new design. 5 years ago we took G36 slides and tested with G30 frames. Everything functioned great. I mentioned it at a remedial Glock armorer's glass and was told that it wouldn't work. After shooting the combination for 4 years with no issues (along with many others), Glock takes the same idea and stamps the slide 30S.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a chance to put a few rounds through a 30S last weekend while teaching a course. It was ok; but not quite my cup of tea. They are pretty rare in these parts at the moment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    Actually, yes....just buying a G30 has crossed my mind. Although the slide is still on the chunky side.

It might actually be easier for me to FIND a G30 because the G30S is hard to find around here for some reason.

I actually like the thinned slide of the G36 and the wider frame/grip of the G30. Maybe with the right holster, I could hide a G30 as well as the 30S..who knows?

I run a G19 in a Raven Phantom holster and have NO problems hiding that...I would need to research hiding the G30 in the same style holster...but nope...the G30 is definitely not out of the running for me at all.

-brickboy240
    I agree. I really like the slimmer profile of the G30s.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Actually the G30S wasn't actaully a new design. 5 years ago we took G36 slides and tested with G30 frames. Everything functioned great. I mentioned it at a remedial Glock armorer's glass and was told that it wouldn't work. After shooting the combination for 4 years with no issues (along with many others), Glock takes the same idea and stamps the slide 30S.
    So should we thank you for pushing Glock to put this together or what?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I guess my main question is: What is 45 Auto doing for you that 9x19 Parabellum is not? Why not just go all 9mm Glocks* instead of just all Glocks?

*Incidentally, that is the article that got my head out of my ass about "cool guns" ala SIG P226s and USP 45 Tacticals and start looking at 9mm Glocks and M&Ps before I bought my first pistol.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    So should we thank you for pushing Glock to put this together or what?
    I guess that's why Glock let the idea sit for a few years so that they could take credit for working with yet another "elite law enforcement unit" to develop the concept.

We've been asking for a full size, single stack, .45acp for years now as well (aka full size 36). I guess when "They" think of the idea, it may come to reality.

Of course with millions of pistols on backorder right now, they are too busy to entertain new concepts at the moment.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    I guess my main question is: What is 45 Auto doing for you that 9x19 Parabellum is not?
    Some of us still prefer launching larger projectiles at threats.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast