Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about transporting through Illinois...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question about transporting through Illinois...

I am going to be in Illinois briefly and am wondering if I can carry loaded magazines if it is separate from the unloaded cased pistol....
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    Yes you can.
    "I can’t remember a mile in my life that was even mildly amusing"

Feedback Score
    Short answer is yes, you could even store the magazines in the same container as the pistol if the pistol is broken down and/or not readily accessible.

You may want to check out this document by the Illinois State Police: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

BY THE WAY, if you are legal to carry a concealed firearm within your home state of residence, did you know you can now, as an out of state resident, carry a concealed firearm within your vehicle without an Illinois issued carry concealed permit? This is my layman's interpretation of the law you can read the full law here: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...F/098-0063.pdf all 168 pages. Look at e) at the bottom of page 18 and top of page 19...

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her...

...vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
    subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    -Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; USCCA Certified Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
    www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just a follow up question.

Satisfying all requirements as listed

I do not see any restrictions on making stops, i.e. doing some grocery or doing some shopping along the route from residence to range, or vice versa.

Am I correct in the assumption?

Feedback Score
    Yes, if you are carrying the firearm as a non resident according to the vehicle safe harbor exemption of the illinois firearm concealed carry act, you may make intermediate stops so long as the firearm remains in the vehicle, with the vehicle either locked or within a locked case within the vehicle when you are not in your vehicle. I am not a lawyer and do not pretend to be one, but am a firearm instructor and you should verify all legal questions with your criminal defense attorney and if you don't have one on speed dial, you should.
    -Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; USCCA Certified Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just found out I too must go up near Chicago for a few days before Christmas. Are Glock 15-17 round mags legal? Do I need to carry 10 rounders?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I just found out I too must go up near Chicago for a few days before Christmas. Are Glock 15-17 round mags legal? Do I need to carry 10 rounders?
    No capacity restrictions in IL, Chicago itself, I don't know.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    THANKS Beef15!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef15 View Post
    No capacity restrictions in IL, Chicago itself, I don't know.
    Yes, there are no Illinois magazine restrictions however some municipalities have magazine restrictions. Allegedly these restrictions do not apply if you are carrying a concealed firearm. I say allegedly because it depends who you ask. Chicago says it does apply, but nobody has been arrested for it to my knowledge.
    -Thomas

Feedback Score
    What happens if you are staying in a hotel for pleasure in downtown and keep everything in the hotel room whilst out seeing the sights? (Risky, I know) is it legal to transport by car, a glock plus mags and keep them in the hotel room?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast