Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 vs. S & W 686 vs. S & W 27 vs. YOUR CHOICE

Feedback Score

GP100 vs. S & W 686 vs. S & W 27 vs. YOUR CHOICE

I've about decided to invest in one really good .357 revolver for the house. It's not something I'd carry; it's just for the bedroom drawer.

As my father got older and eventually passed away, he found that he could no longer cycle the slide on a semi-auto in order to chamber a round (due to lack of hand strength), but he could shoot a single action trigger on a wheel gun just fine.

So I'm planning to buy a revolver for my old age. I'm only around 50 now, but with an almost constant rollercoaster ride of gun and ammo restriction proposals and buying panics, I'd kind of like to get one and plenty of ammo for it now before the next panic.

I've read many reviews over the years concerning the guns I listed. I'd love to hear some more recent input.

(Like, you wouldn't buy a 686 because none come without the lock if that's the case, for example).

Are there any recent trends like one or the other models just don't have the quality of the old school ones?

I'm willing to seek out one made years ago if I have to.

If you have any suggestions for a .357 wheel gun I haven't mentioned, feel free to chime in and tell us why you prefer that particular one.

(Pics would be nice of whatever your preference is, too. There's just something about a pic of an old wheel gun with black around the front of the chambers that....well....gives me wood.)

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I don't own any of the revolvers you mentioned, but I do have a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag. With that, I can say that you won't be disappointed with a Ruger. I myself am looking to buy a GP100. I handled one alongside the S&W, and the Ruger just got my hand better. I have small hands though. I shot a S&W 686, and it was nice but the GP100 fit my hand a lot more comfortably. Rugers are built like tanks too

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I don't own any of the revolvers you mentioned, but I do have a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag. With that, I can say that you won't be disappointed with a Ruger. I myself am looking to buy a GP100. I handled one alongside the S&W, and the Ruger just got my hand better. I have small hands though. I shot a S&W 686, and it was nice but the GP100 fit my hand a lot more comfortably. Rugers are built like tanks too
    You captured a very good point. If you have smaller hands, the GP100 may be an excellent fit for you. I'd love to snag one of those Wiley Clapp TALO guns, if I were in the market for a GP100. They are about 800 bucks, though - be forewarned.

Doc Glockster - how big are your paws? Also, do you have arthritis in your hands? I do, and that also makes the recoil of a hot .357 a challenge. One of those JM 625's might actually be a bit easier on the hands. I shot one a few years ago, and really enjoyed it.

Us old geezers have to help each other out, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Doc Glockster - how big are your paws? Also, do you have arthritis in your hands? I do, and that also makes the recoil of a hot .357 a challenge. One of those JM 625's might actually be a bit easier on the hands. I shot one a few years ago, and really enjoyed it.
    I have somewhat stubby fingers, but I am not "ham-handed" or anything. As for arthritis, no, but I do have carpal tunnel. I usually have no trouble firing standard pressure .357. The beauty of three-fifty-seven is that you can shoot thirty-eight special.

My beef against the GP100 is the abbreviated grip frame. I may opt to locate a minty Security Six or Service Six. I used to love my S&W 686.

Us old geezers have to help each other out, I hope you find what you are looking for.

LOL... Thanks....I think.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I happen to have owned all three on your list, along with a 19 and a 66. My hands down favorite to shoot is the 686. For carry, obviously the 66 gets the nod.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I have a 686 and really like it.

Makes me look like I know how to shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally a fan of the Ruger GP100, my father has one and they are built tough. That said, Smith 686s can be had with 7 shot cylinders, the 686 Plus is the model designation I do believe. However, if six rounds of .357 are enough for you, I would seriously look around your local gun stores and see if you can't find a see on a used revolver. Have seen older Smith and Colts in .357 pop up for very good prices used from time to time, and while they may not be as quick and flashy, they can be a bit cheaper, and in my experience the triggers on them do tend to be smoother and at least to me lighter than most of the newer offerings/ And no I am not throwing it out there because the guns are as old as you geezers Picked up a Colt Police Positive earlier this year for $280 out the door, only .38, but its good shooter and I enjoy it.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    686 six shot or 686 plus seven shot or 327 eight shot.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411546995

If you put an rmr on your auto, couldn't you rack the slide on the edge of the night table or with the side of your arm? I'm in my 60s and don't have any plans on switching to revolver from auto for home defense.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...d-Trijicon-RMR
    Last edited by Pi3; 11-18-13 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    I've owned all three and only the GP100 remains. I believe it is a more durable revolver and better all around choice. I would not get the new MIM version introduced in the last couple of years. The model 27 was the most refined, but I've read that on the N frames if you get the cylinder moving too quickly, you can wear the cylinder stops. The 686 was nice enough, but the side plate vs solid frame of the Ruger reduces durability.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brushy bill View Post
    I've owned all three and only the GP100 remains. I believe it is a more durable revolver and better all around choice. I would not get the new MIM version introduced in the last couple of years.
    I'm not sure I would rule that out 100%. Modern MIM is supposedly a lot better and more durable than in the past. Plus, Ruger has used investment cast parts for years so they could very well have it perfected by now.

I'd have to see some data before I make up my mind about this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast