Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plans to build my hypothetical "dream" AR...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Shorter barrels are more accurate due to more rigidity. I'd stick with 16" if accuracy at range and terminal ballistics up close (home defense) are your primary goals. I wouldn't go shorter unless you have a SBR or MG lower, as pinning is a pain.

Noveske SS barrels also have very long barrel lives for a SS barrel. I still repeat what a0cake suggest though: if you can't afford to constantly feed it match-grade ammo, don't bother with SS.
    Your planned build is along the lines of my recce-inspired rifle. I went back and forth between 16" and 18" and ended up with BCM SS410 16". I love my rifle and have no regrets, but I can tell you my next rifle will be a lightweight profile chrome-lined barrel. Scoped it's a heavy MF and needs match ammo to show off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Sounds like a nice build, but it may be a very heavy 14.5". Your build will be about 8lbs not counting optics, light, magazine and ammo. The parts you've listed are probably gonna run you closer to $2,600 if you can find some of them parts.
    I bet he"ll be closer to 7lbs since my 14" afghan medium contour SS with UBR comes in at 7lbs 5.5oz. without optic or extra crap on it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm going to bump this thread, I am now finally in possession of 4 AX556 lowers, 3 of which I think I'm going to Form 1 (just in case 41p happens)...

So let me discuss my plans for the 1 lower I don't plan to SBR...

I'm thinking DD LPK, SSA, BAD-ASS 45 degree version, BCM mod 2 or Mapul K2 (input on this choice would be nice), battle arms enhanced pin set. Part of me likes the idea of a VLTOR A5 RE but IDK if it is really necessary (IG if you're reading maybe you can help me out here), if I went A5 I'd get a springco green spring, if not BCM RE with Blue spring and H2 buffer? For a stock I was leaning towards the STR if I go A5 but maybe the new MOE-SL or BCM stock. If I go with BCM RE I was thinking maybe B5 Bravo, Imod or CTR stock...

Upper is easy, my heart is set on BCM upper with BFH ELW-F barrel (14.5 or 16" mid length) when it becomes available. If I go 14.5" I'll also go KMR 13 and if 16" KMR 15. I'd also add a Raptor CH, LMT enhanced BCG with enhanced bolt (and NiB cam pin), Magpul MBUS PRO front and rear. I'll be putting a SilencerCo Trifecta RS flash hider on it as well.

For Optics I want to get a Leupold Mk6 1-6 on ADM mount, Aimpoint T-1 with I/O cover on LaRue 30 degree offset QD mount. For a light I want to go with Inforce WMLX on keymod thorntail mount... And I'd add BCM gunfighter Keymod VFG, BCM rail panels and a QD mount to the KMR as well.

So there you have the updated version of what I have in mind for a dream rifle if you were able to read through all of that. Lol

Main questions I guess I have at this point are:

1. LMT enhanced BCG w/ enhanced bolt and VLTOR A5 on BCM mid length gas system, should I expect any reliability issues (too much of a good thing maybe)? My goal is to create an ultra soft shooting, ultra reliable and ultra durable system.

2. Any thoughts on BCM Mod 2 grip vs. Magpul K2? I kinda like that you can neatly store a spare bolt and firing pin in the K2, but I have not felt either grip in hand yet.

3. Any thoughts on proposed stocks?... If I go A5 I really want something that will collapse all the way and give me the shortest LOP possible with the A5 (as an option).

4. Any thoughts on A5 vs. standard carbine RE?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    one question: why spend $100 on a lpk just to replace most of the parts? why not buy quality parts separate?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    one question: why spend $100 on a lpk just to replace most of the parts? why not buy quality parts separate?
    Great question, I'm glad you asked it. Honestly, I don't even know where I would shop to buy individual quality components to an LPK, if I did I would go that route...

Found this link:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ty-lower-build

Looks like I can thank member bzdog for making it easy and looks like I can save about $50 per lower using the parts he listed.
    Last edited by PatrioticDisorder; 04-30-14 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Plans to build my hypothetical "dream" AR...

Ha. Looks like you and I are thinking pretty much alike.. I've got three AX556s and similar parts selections. I'd like one more at some point (two 16", two SBR).

So far I've built one, and got parts for the other. I used:

- Colt ala cart LPK parts from Brownells
    - SSA-E
    - BAD-ASS 90 degree (std + hybrid)
    - BAD EPS takedown and provided AXTS pivot (EPS pivot is too short)
    - BCM milspec buffer tube, carbine spring an H2 buffer
    - Magpul MIAD
    - Magpul STR stock + extra QD cup for both side coverage and the enhanced pad
    - Noveske QD endplate

This is mated to a complete Noveske 16" 300 BLK NSR upper with H1 on LT660, AAC 51T FH, Troy BUIS (HK style front), Raptor CH, X300U at 12 oclock and Vickers padded QD sling.

I'm very happy with these selections. Today I'd prefer the KMR, but not enough to replace the NSR.

My second set of parts is the same except a Phase 5 pistol tube until I can form 1. I plan to use a 9" BCM KMR + Noveske 8.2" 300 BLK barrel, BCM milspec BCG and Knights MAMS with this one.

Just not sure about the upper. Gonna check out the BAD stuff they are releasing.

Am going to try to make some G10 panels.
    http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/55da207.htm

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; 04-30-14 at 21:50.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I figured I'll update this... I've decided to build 3 "dream" AR's and the components I'm thinking about using have evolved since this past November when I originally came up with the idea.

I ordered 4 AX556 lowers which I've been in possession of for a while now, I sent in a form 1 for 3 of them back in May (plan to keep the 3rd SBR'd lower as a spare, will live with spare SBR upper on it, basically used as parts). I want to build a 16" "Recce" style mid length build, 14.5" mid length SBR general purpose build and an 11.5" CQB build.

Build 1 (16"):

Lower:
    AX556 lower
    Geissele SD-E trigger
    Ala cart Colt LPK
    Battle Arms Takedown pin
    BAD-ASS short throw
    LWRC Ambi rear reciever QD sling mount
    VLTOR A5 tube w/ David Tubb flatwire CS buffer spring (will experiment with weight, but will likely stay stock H2 or maybe go H3)
    BCM Mod 2 Gunfighter pistol grip
    Magpul STR stock

Upper:
    VLTOR MUR-1A
    BCM 16" BFH ELW-F barrel (when it becomes available, please hurry BCM!) (mid length)
    SLR Sentry 6 adjustable gas block (would like to have this pinned), w/ SLR black nitride gas tube
    BCM KMR 15
    LMT Enhanced BCG (including enhanced bolt, will also be using McFarland gas rings)
    Surefire SOCOM flash hider (for can attachment)
    Raptor Ambi charging handle
    LWRC front & rear skirmish sights
    BCM angled & 1 sided KMR rail covers
    BCM keymod VFG

Build 2 will use all the above except 14.5" BCM BFH ELW-F Mid length barrel & KMR 13
    Build 3 will use all above except 11.5" BCM BFH carbine length barrel, KMR 10 & Geissele SD3G

Color:
    I want to hydrodip lower, upper, rail, pistol grip, rail covers, VFG & stock in multicam on all (then clear coat with cerakote) & have barrel, sights, buffer tube & sling plate cerakoted FDE. I'd like to do this for all 3 rifles.

Lights:

I plan to use the thorntail keymod offset mount to be able to quickly attach/detach Inforce WML/WMLX on all 3 rifles. At some point down the road, I'd also like to add a DLI DBAL I2 to one, two or all three rifles at some point in the next few years (when I can afford NVG).

Optics:

Build 1 Leupold Mk6 will be primary optic, I'd also like to put an Aimpoint T-1 on the Larue QD offset mount for instant 1x

Build 2 I'd like 2 set ups, first would be a T-1 on 1/3 QD mount (LaRue or ADM) and the second would be a TR24G 1-4 as the primary on Larue or ADM QD mount and possibly with the second set up have the T-1 on the LaRue offset mount.

Build 3 T-1 on 1/3 WD mount.

I plan to run all 3 suppressed and unsuppressed and will be treating all 3 with fireclean. When I first shoot the rifle I will be using brass max ammo (weakest ammo I use) and gradually closing the gas click by click until the rifle will no longer lock back, then I will move it back 1 click. I'm ok if it doesn't lock back 100% of the time with the weak .223 as all of the ammo I have for defensive purposes is 5.56 and on the flip side I want it to remain a smooth shooter like I envision it will be using 5.56 suppressed. With any kind of serious ammo I want it to be 100% reliable, I've also picked components to also provide durability while being reasonably accurate, ergonomic, light recoiling and well balanced. So there you have it, my 3 dream builds, feel free to critique.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123