Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: is the military using .300 blackout?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    I don't expect it will ever be widely used or type classified.
    This is also a public image that was in an NDIA presentation:

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    It is only a matter of time that 300 BLK receives its own DODIC.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    It was publicly said during an NDIA presentation that 300 BLK exists due to a military request. AAC decided to commercialize it rather than limit the products to the military. This required getting the cartridge put into SAAMI and the commercial channels.
    Appreciate the clarification. I had completely forgotten about the background metrics on this one, and this having proven to be a particularly difficult week for me, I was not able to go back and do my homework. I stand corrected.

Where small arms procurement and fielding within the Army/DOD is concerned, the only true constant that I've ever really been able to discern is that we generally have no idea what we are actually doing from one moment to the next.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    the reason I asked the question was there seemed to be a disconnect between what is currently fielded and the supposed agenda of the .300 blackout.

the hk416 is the suppressed SBR of choice. its piston system makes suppressed SBR barreled operation more reliable while maintaining the ergonomics and modularity of the massively adopted m4 platform.

unless HK makes a .300 blackout hk416... how would this round ever make it into the hands of sof dudes? I don't see it as a possibility that the sof community would move away from the already adopted 416 for suppressed SBR solution. and let's admit it, the .300 blackout is primarily targeted at suppressed SBR use.
    Keep in mind that the 416 is only used by a very small percentage of SOF.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've heard of a 300BLK 416 and in any case a DI upper from the usual suspects would fit in an HK lower.
    Last edited by RyanB; 11-24-13 at 01:40.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    If one considers for a moment that there are certain weapons in inventories (let's use an MPSD3 as an example) and one wanted to replace that weapon with something that shares the same parts commonality, magazines, manual of arms, etc... then the .300 BLK makes perfect sense. It doesn't mean that it has to be general issue. Also, as I recall late in 2012, early 2013 someone with the DOD purchase several hundred thousands of rounds of .300 BLK ammo. I doubt it was done for shooting competition.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    the reason I asked the question was there seemed to be a disconnect between what is currently fielded and the supposed agenda of the .300 blackout.

the hk416 is the suppressed SBR of choice. its piston system makes suppressed SBR barreled operation more reliable while maintaining the ergonomics and modularity of the massively adopted m4 platform.

unless HK makes a .300 blackout hk416... how would this round ever make it into the hands of sof dudes? I don't see it as a possibility that the sof community would move away from the already adopted 416 for suppressed SBR solution. and let's admit it, the .300 blackout is primarily targeted at suppressed SBR use.
    Yeah, that is the idea - for 300 BLK to replace the MP7, MP5, and 416.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Piston guns do not suppress well, at least from a sound perspective.

.300BK offer a ton of advantages in certain circles over 5.56mm, and IMHO is a no brainer choice over 9mm or 4.6 in a SMG/PDW style weapon
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    I like the 416 and bought two of them - a 10 and a 14.5. Yes, I prefer my 9 inch DI 300 BLK. It is lighter and I prefer a cartridge that is better at the ranges that I actually shoot. I have to drive an hour to shoot past 200 yards, and there is no scenario where I would need to defend myself at long range. Some will say that there is no downside to a longer-range round, but there is - more flash, blast, noise, and lower performance through typical intermediate barriers.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 11-24-13 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

unless HK makes a .300 blackout hk416...
    You have made a large assumption right there...
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast