Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which vortex?

Feedback Score
    I just bought my PST 4-16 FFP. AWESOME for the price! I would go with the higher mag so it will help you see the mirage near your target better. Mirage is your friend :-)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    I just bought my PST 4-16 FFP. AWESOME for the price! I would go with the higher mag so it will help you see the mirage near your target better. Mirage is your friend :-)
    For the type of shooting you're talking, it seems as though the 4-16 FFP is most appropriate. Especially at 800 yards--tough to shoot at a target you can't see.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lugie101 View Post
    For the type of shooting you're talking, it seems as though the 4-16 FFP is most appropriate. Especially at 800 yards--tough to shoot at a target you can't see.
    I ended up with the 4-16 FFP and offset irons for backup. I think this scope compliments the gun very well. Thanks for the advice.

Feedback Score
    Why not the 6-24 PST FFP scope? More power and you can see better at long range. I use one on my bolt gun and will try it on my AR15. Right now I am using a Bushnell AR/223 in 4.5-18x40mm scope which I like very well on my M4.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    I felt like the 6-24 was a bit much for this particular rifle. I had that scope on a Remington 700 that I traded for this LMT. I shot a long range class and found myself at 300-400 yards shooting on 6x. I just felt it to be a little overkill. If I ever have a GAP in 300 Win Mag then I may pick up another scope with similar settings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
    I have the 4-16 Viper PST SFP and glass quality is good. I had read about the issue with the glass quality and it was only the SFP and that was the early version. Current production seems good to go.
    Same experience with mine. A heck of a scope for the money.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know this has already been decided but just for info:

I had a PST 6-24 SFP on my R700 and shot it out to around 600. Never really went above 16x. That scope has been sold and been replaced with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15. That's been taken out to around 850 and even then I usually stay at 12x.

My buddy just took his Mk12 out to 750 today using a PST 2.5-10 FFP and actually put up a sub moa group at that distance with a 10 scope.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I know this has already been decided but just for info:

I had a PST 6-24 SFP on my R700 and shot it out to around 600. Never really went above 16x. That scope has been sold and been replaced with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15. That's been taken out to around 850 and even then I usually stay at 12x.

My buddy just took his Mk12 out to 750 today using a PST 2.5-10 FFP and actually put up a sub moa group at that distance with a 10 scope.
    With the 4-16 so far I have shot out to 300 yards and haven't gone near the max magnification. With the FFP set up I feel I see more of the target keeping it on a lower setting. 300 yards I normally shoot at 10x.
    Last edited by TylerD; 08-15-14 at 20:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Fact of the matter is that you can shoot tighter groups with more magnification at distance, all things being equal. Otherwise, F-Class shooters wouldn't be asking Nightforce & March for more & more magnification. However, it's more "fun" to me to shoot at a lower magnification. You have more FOV, more awareness of what's downrange, less eye strain. Things seem more clear and less distorted at lower magnification. Eye relief is more forgiving. You can still ring gongs a long way out with 10x or 12x. A 24" gong at 600yds is about 4 MOA. An easy afternoon of ringing a gong like that is a lot of fun. Ringing it with a 56x scope straining for the proper eye relief and trying to focus through the glare of mirage would not be as fun, and would be overkill for a target that size. So most of us don't do that.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have experience with both and it depends onw hat you plan on shooting. I really really like the 2.5-10 FFP scope because of its light weight and compact size. I think it fits perfectly on a gun like yours or on compact bolt guns. The 4-16 is also a great scope but a bit bigger than what I prefer on a semi auto .308. But that is a preference thing.
    I mounted this 2.5-10 on my friends rifle and liked it so much I bought one for myself.

I put it on this rifle for now. But I plan on moving it onto a .308 built I am just starting.

The longest range I have access to locally is 400 yards and I have no problems hitting MGM auto poppers at that range with this scope.
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 09-13-14 at 14:49.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast