Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle plate recommendations?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rifle plate recommendations?

I'm looking for recommendations on a level III rifle plate for my Eagle PC. It needs to be 10x12 and operator/shooter cut. I'll take opinions or thoughts on steel vs ceramic, but the majority of it's time will be spent in the trunk of a cruiser. Also, if someone can suggest a dealer? It will be with an LEO sign off, so I guess my choices would be a little better.

Thanks, Jim

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jim,
    I just got my Diamondback Tactical III+ Steel Ultra-Concealable Plates. They are 5mm thick and rated to 2 shots from 7.62 AP (I believe). They way 6.5 lbs each but with the GSA discount you can get 2 for under $500- and they are awesome to have on in and out of vehicles because of how thin they are.

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/D...em-P55C45.aspx
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dave,

I think that plate is the one that Gary Roberts recently tested and it did very bad.

Here is part of his quote:

To say we were surprised by these findings, would be the understatement of the year...

The DBT 5 mm Ultra Concealable Level “3+” plate did NOT behave like typical good quality steel plates we have previously shot and acted more like a ceramic plate, with significant cracking with each hit. Contrast this with the 6 mm AR500 steel plate that absorbed 31 hits without any cracks or fractures of the plate. It is possible that the DBT plate could have been manufactured using improperly heat-treated Chinese steel, which can be overly brittle and is known to crack. We called DBT for an explanation; the DBT rep we spoke with stated the vendor who fabricates the plates claims they are indeed “steel”, but the DBT representative was unsure of the exact specifications. DBT reported that they will research this issue and get back to us.

WARNING !!!
    At this point in time, the substandard performance and inability to sustain multiple hits demonstrated by this current production DBT “Ultra Concealable Level 3+” 5 mm “steel” plate warrant that extreme caution and care be exercised when contemplating the use of this armor for LE or military use.
    http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...ge=0&fpart=all

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    the whole thread needs to be read, not just his initial findings and warning. here's another quote from a follow-up post from gary:

"Keep in mind that the DBT 5 mm plates have faired well in many previous tests--ours included. Before condemning these plates, we first have to determine if this was one of those bizarre aberrant anomalies that occasionally occurs in life or if there is a true materials issue or problem. Also, keep in mind that although the plate cracked when hit, it did STOP the projectiles--very much like a ceramic plate behaves when hit.

DBT is a solid company with good products--as I have stated before, their soft armor is some of the best on the market. I am confident this issue will be adequately addressed and dealt with in a professional manner.

As this issue unfolds, I will happily keep wearing my own personally purchased DBT 5 mm plates for when I want low profile armor to protect against Level III threats. "

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys- Post updates as available. I do wear these plates with 3A soft armor- but I'll ditch or get them replaces as soon as more testing info becomes available.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have been running the DBT 5mm plates since late 2005. These plates have been tested extensively, and this is the first issue to surface that I am aware of. I would wait until the testing is competed before drawing any conclusions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Dave,

I think that plate is the one that Gary Roberts recently tested and it did very bad.

Here is part of his quote:

To say we were surprised by these findings, would be the understatement of the year...

The DBT 5 mm Ultra Concealable Level “3+” plate did NOT behave like typical good quality steel plates we have previously shot and acted more like a ceramic plate, with significant cracking with each hit. Contrast this with the 6 mm AR500 steel plate that absorbed 31 hits without any cracks or fractures of the plate. It is possible that the DBT plate could have been manufactured using improperly heat-treated Chinese steel, which can be overly brittle and is known to crack. We called DBT for an explanation; the DBT rep we spoke with stated the vendor who fabricates the plates claims they are indeed “steel”, but the DBT representative was unsure of the exact specifications. DBT reported that they will research this issue and get back to us.

WARNING !!!
    At this point in time, the substandard performance and inability to sustain multiple hits demonstrated by this current production DBT “Ultra Concealable Level 3+” 5 mm “steel” plate warrant that extreme caution and care be exercised when contemplating the use of this armor for LE or military use.
    http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...ge=0&fpart=all

So who currently makes a 6mm AR500 Steel Plate? This thread/and the 10-8 stuff has me interested (and worried).

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    So who currently makes a 6mm AR500 Steel Plate?

I beleive these NIJ Cert. Level 3 multi strike rated plates are steel? Looks interesting, I do not own them.

http://armoredmobility.com/
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    I beleive these NIJ Cert. Level 3 multi strike rated plates are steel? Looks interesting, I do not own them.

http://armoredmobility.com/
    At that price I doubt they are steel- that's over double what the DBT steel plates cost.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    At that price I doubt they are steel- that's over double what the DBT steel plates cost.

Dave:

Maybe you are right? The web site does not say what they are made out of. Given the extreme abuse in the video, I thought steel was likely. Seem like good plates at any rate.

Hope you find what you need. Be safe.
    Cold Zero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast