Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to precision shooting, "budget" optic

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

New to precision shooting, "budget" optic

Happy Thanksgiving! I have an opportunity to get, at a good deal, a SS 10x42 or Millett 4-16x50. I have not used a fixed power before but read good reviews on the SS. The Millett gets mediocre-to-good reviews. Any consensus to a new shooter? I know the 'rule' on glass being 1 1/2 -2 times the cost of the rifle, but with 6 kids and a limited budget it ain't happening. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You need to define the $ amount you are willing to spend, then look for the best that fits.

That said, you will get more for your money buying used than new. Try looking in the EE here and on Snipers Hide:

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...mp-Mounts-(EE)

http://forum.snipershide.com/optics-sale/

Also, SWFA has some really good deals from time to time: http://www.samplelist.com/

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks. I have a Leupold VX-R up on the forum for sale/trade since it is a hunting scope and limited for what I want to do. I am curious as to the "operational" difference between a fixed power vs variable.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Personally, I'm planning to start with the SWFA SS 10x42 Mil/Mil. For $300 it's relatively inexpensive but is surprisingly good quality.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    SWFA emailed out a black friday teaser the other day saying to check your email at 12:01. If you're not already on their distribution list, I would sign up today. May be able to get their SS 10x at a better price.

From my mobile phone

Feedback Score
    The SWFA is a fine starter optic. There is another thread on here with someone who is even making zero stop shims for them as well.

If you have a little more money in my opinion the Vortex PST line really shines, as do some of the new Bushnells.

Feedback Score
    I have a Millet 6x25x56 with a 30MM tube and fine crosshairs on a bull bbl varmint gun (22-250) that I picked up for 189.00 new. It is suprisingly clear and has held up for several years now.
    I'm a firm believer in "Truth" "Justice" and "The American Way". But, "The American Way" in which in I believe, is of "Days Past" probably before I was born. As this concept is always "evolving", I can't say I like where it is headed. Dan.

Feedback Score
    This is better for the optics forum. But since it's here....

You still haven't defined a budget, which would go a long way to helping us recommend some glass. SWFA, Vortex, Bushnell, and others all make some decent glass at budget minded prices.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What is your budget and the maximum distance you intend to shoot?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    The Super Sniper is a great intro optic.

As for fixed versus variable, a fixed power is just that, 1 magnification. In laymans terms 10X means the image is 10 times bigger than the naked eye. Variable allows you to have 4-16 (for the scope you mentioned) magnification.

The issue comes into play more when you are learning to range with the Mil-dots on the scope. Depending on which variable you get(first focal plane versus second), you may have to range on one power and then go back to the magnification you were previously on. Some will allow you to range on all but the crosshairs will be different sizes on different magnification.

Keep in mind then higher the magnification, the smaller the field of view will be, so the 10X will have a smaller field of view than the variable on 4X.

I have been running a fixed 10X for the last 10 plus years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast