Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gen-4 Glock 19 enhancements

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Gen-4 Glock 19 enhancements

Guys, he said this is for his cousin. If he's like me, he may love his cousin but may not want to drop a couple hundred on him for a class. This whole "buy ammo, take a class, and shoot the shit out of it before anything else" routine is getting a little old. Obviously it's good advice, but seems like some people are just throwing it everywhere and expecting it to apply to everything.

OP - I haven't tried the OEM extended versions, but I do consider the Vickers mods must-do for any of my Glocks. Sure they're not as high a priority as sights, and honestly I have no friggin clue if they make me reload faster, but they feel better to me so that's worth the couple of bucks, IMO. For the vast majority of shooters, I think it'd be hard to go wrong with those parts. I got them as Christmas presents for my sister last year. She liked them and they didn't break the bank - win/win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-30-13 at 00:17.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Guys, he said this is for his cousin. If he's like me, he may love his cousin but may not want to drop a couple hundred on him for a class. This whole "buy ammo, take a class, and shoot the shit out of it before anything else" routine is getting a little old. Obviously it's good advice, but seems like some people are just throwing it everywhere and expecting it to apply to everything.

OP - I haven't tried the OEM extended versions, but I do consider the Vickers mods must-do for any of my Glocks. Sure they're not as high a priority as sights, and honestly I have no friggin clue if they make me reload faster, but they feel better to me so that's worth the couple of bucks, IMO. For the vast majority of shooters, I think it'd be hard to go wrong with those parts. I got them as Christmas presents for my sister last year. She liked them and they didn't break the bank - win/win.

+1 about the class but why change parts other than sights? There is a population of those aftermarket mag and slide releases that don't agree with the shooter or the individual gun. The TD/LAV slide release I got wouldn't function on any of several guns I've tried it in. And there is a nice easy bend trial and error process to tune it to work. Great. Don't need it. I think swapping out parts on someone else's pistol before they even get any shooting with it is bad business.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    +1 about the class but why change parts other than sights? There is a population of those aftermarket mag and slide releases that don't agree with the shooter or the individual gun. The TD/LAV slide release I got wouldn't function on any of several guns I've tried it in. And there is a nice easy bend trial and error process to tune it to work. Great. Don't need it. I think swapping out parts on someone else's pistol before they even get any shooting with it is bad business.
    Well I wasn't suggesting it before any shooting. But, since they are cheap and its a Glock, they're easy to swap in/out as desired. If it was a 1911 part that required fitting and all of that, then it'd be another story.
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-30-13 at 17:08.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If it was My cousin, I would buy them their sights of choice and a - connector 1st.

Why? Because both of those parts help every time the trigger is pulled, and a greater number of glock shooters change those parts at a higher % and 1st over others.

These aftermarket controls people are talking about might only have the possibility to help the shooter during reloads/clearances if the shooters hands a small enough to where these parts make the difference. Considering this is a 1st handgun, it might be a while before it's known or not.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    The factory model impedes my desire to have a true thumbs forward grip. The nub that sticks out causes me to hold it down and keep the slide from locking back on an empty mag. I have to throw the strong hand thumb out a little to prevent this.
    http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/06/si...r-secrets.html

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I change out -
    Stock mag release for a Vickers. I have small hands and have trouble with the stock one. The Glock extended part sticks out too far IMO.

Stock slide release for a Vickers. It is the same size as a stock one but has a more aggressive texture. The stock one is too smooth IMO, especially if it or your hands are wet.

Sights. This is a personal preference and some people keep the stock sights. If they work for you then great, if not swap them out.

On my 19 and 23 I swapped the trigger assembly out as I like the smooth trigger the full sized pistols ship with.

Trigger parts are subjective also. I run -
    Glock dot connector
    Stock return spring
    Wolff reduced power firing pin block spring
    Wolff extra power firing pin spring

Feedback Score
    I own both a Gen3 19 and Gen4 19.

On the Gen 3 guns I love the Vickers mag release. On Gen 4 guns it doesn't do anything for me. The OEM Gen 4 release is perfectly useable as is.

I don't like any of the extended slidestops available(factory or Vickers) as they interfere with my grip. I don't have any problems running the stock slide stop even when using a GFA.

The Vickers parts aren't cheap. For the same price you could get your buddy a set of Ameriglo Defoor sights, or a few boxes of ammo. Or a Safariland OWB holster. Or 2 Kytex mag pouches. Or a match entry fee.

On a Gen4 gun I'd advise changing out the sights and then just shooting it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I don't like any of the extended slidestops available(factory or Vickers) as they interfere with my grip. I don't have any problems running the stock slide stop even when using a GFA.
    Vickers slide stops are not extended, they just have a more aggressive texture -

From the top down - Glock extended, Vickers, Glock standard length.
    Last edited by EzGoingKev; 12-02-13 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=EzGoingKev;1805599]Vickers slide stops are not extended, they just have a more aggressive texture -

Actually, the Vickers slide stops are extended. Not "aggressive", but they definitely stick out from the frame farther than the stock piece.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    If it was My cousin, I would buy them their sights of choice and a - connector 1st.

Why? Because both of those parts help every time the trigger is pulled, and a greater number of glock shooters change those parts at a higher % and 1st over others.

These aftermarket controls people are talking about might only have the possibility to help the shooter during reloads/clearances if the shooters hands a small enough to where these parts make the difference. Considering this is a 1st handgun, it might be a while before it's known or not.
    This.

These were the 2 greatest improvements to my glock for ME. Heine straight sights and a 3.5 lbs connector increased my hits on target especially out at 25yds +

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast