Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first AR build

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My first AR build

I decided it was time to begin buying parts in the wake of the Sandy Hook incident. It's nothing fancy, as I wanted to avoid building a "tacti-cool" shelf queen and assemble a "lightweight", simple gun. I'm frequently at the local firing range [literally two blocks from my house] and visit the 100m rifle range on occasion. I built my gun to punch paper and to "cut my teeth" before obtaining a Noveske or a DD for my SHTF/go-to gun.

The first step was finding the only available lower receiver anywhere online, a billet piece[1] from Reno Guns [U.S. Firearms Academy] and waited three months for it to be delivered. I assembled the lower with a CMMG trigger group and a LPK from Palmetto State Armory [2]. I then bought a new Colt 14.5" barrel [3] and had an extended flash hider permanently attatched. I then obtained an upper receiver [4], Magpul MOE handguard/stock kit with Milspec buffer tube and UPK from Spike's Tactical. Lastly, I sourced a BCG and charging handle to complete the rifle. The only thing I didn't do myself was torque the barrel to the upper receiver. A buddy of mine had the tools and he handled that for me while I was working seven days a week.

1]

2] Using a few simple hand tools and after a couple cups of joe, I was in business:

3]

4]

Last edited by ChopsUnleashed; 12-03-13 at 09:23.
    sic vis pacem para bellum

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A friend gave me a set of A.R.M.S. folding sights and I used the rear as I had an F marked FSB. I'm quickly learned what this rifle doesn't like and what NOT to do. For instance, using steel Tulammo and not lubricating it enough. I had a failure to feed issue and now it's not chambering new rounds. I've been searching for answers in old threads and have found a wealth of information. It seems the cheap ammo is underpowered and is leading to "short stroking".

So, lemme have it!!!
    Last edited by ChopsUnleashed; 12-03-13 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like simple clean rifles but I do like long FF tubes, other then that it looks great to me!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIGIN View Post
    I like simple clean rifles but I do like long FF tubes, other then that it looks great to me!
    Thanks!!

While I had initially wanted a rifle-length MI Gen2 handguard, I decided to keep the costs down by using the Magpul. Honestly, I'm not sure if I like it.

*update*

I lubricated the rifle very well with Rem Oil (what I had on hand) and it cycles like a champ with Winchester CXP2 .223 and Federal AE223.
    Last edited by ChopsUnleashed; 12-03-13 at 19:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopsUnleashed View Post
    Thanks!!

While I had initially wanted a rifle-length MI Gen2 handguard, I decided to keep the costs down by using the Magpul. Honestly, I'm not sure if I like it.

*update*

I lubricated the rifle very well with Rem Oil (what I had on hand) and it cycles like a champ with Winchester CXP2 .223 and Federal AE223.
    If you have a milspec BCG it should cycle Tula223 just fine as long as the rifle is properly lubed. Remember that the chamber, BCG cam pin and hole, and bolt lugs will be dry when brand new. This might cause FTF/FTE's with weak and dirty Tula. But properly lubed it should cycle. So remember to lubricate those areas and try Tula again (if you want). I don't like Tula myself, but it seems to be more available locally to me and cost $2-3 less than brass ammo in big box stores. I buy some and use it for practice, and they cycle fine in my Spikes Tactical and PSA AR's.

I've also switched out of Magpul handguards to a free float rail. nothing wrong with the handguards, I just don't like the play when gripping them in the firing position.

Do you have a sling mount on the front? I don't see one. A sling is a must in my book for all rifles; add one to yours and you're good to go.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 12-03-13 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the information!! My BCG is milspec. I'm confident my issue was the lack of proper lubrication. It did cycle with the tulammo after I posted earlier, but I probably won't buy any more after I burn through it. I'm interested in hand loading ammo as I already load 9x19 and .45.

There isn't any play with my handguard although the stock rattles. Good eye on the lack of a forward sling mount, it's on my to-do list.
    Last edited by ChopsUnleashed; 12-03-13 at 20:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Take a 1.5 x 4 inch piece of gorilla tape and put it on the buffer tube. Re-install the buttstock. No more rattle. Or play. You're welcome.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I recommend getting something better than Rem-Oil. It's great for grand dads shotgun and Remington 700, not so much for an AR.

Might I inquire what BCG you sourced?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I recommend getting something better than Rem-Oil. It's great for grand dads shotgun and Remington 700, not so much for an AR.

Might I inquire what BCG you sourced?
    I have a Colt BCG, I figured it was amongst the best due to endless reading and the vaunted "M4 chart" I found here.

I agree with you on the Rem Oil as it always seems to "cook off" (for a lack of a better description) after a few hundred rounds in my pistols. I'm currently researching different grease/lube brands to make an educated decision on which to use. I see that some people use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and greases but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Froglube works great. Also hearing good things about FireClean. Maybe try one of these out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast