Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This barrel gtg?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

This barrel gtg?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XATIB556M4

I know everyone has seen this barrel this past week but here is the specs:

$139.95
    New Mossberg OEM 16" .223/5.56x45 caliber barrels for AR type Rifles. These high quality M4 profile barrels feature a complete inside and out Melonite coating, 1:7 twist and M4 feed ramps.

Specifications:
    -.223/5.56 Caliber
    -M4 Profile
    -1:7 Twist Rate
    -1/2x28 Muzzle Thread
    -M4 Feed Ramps
    -Carbine length gas hole
    -.750" Gas shoulder
    Ive read through the huge thread i found in the search engine and it didnt really answer my question....is this barrel gtg? My research says gtg but Im not a metallurgist or armorer and would rather someone with the experience and knowledge to help me out.

My build:
    A weapon that I can use as HD, range, carbine courses, SHTF, ICE...all the above.

Im kind of on a budget and would like to stay under $200. Now I can get a parkerized CL 4150 for $187 but Im curious to see what M4C has to say about this barrel before I do.

Thanks to all in advance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Tagged.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You know Bravo Company has barrels in stock right?
    Why would you use an unknown for home defense?

If you are on a budget, the 2 parts you don't want to cheap out on are the bolt and the barrel.
    These parts are the heart of the rifle.
    Last edited by polymorpheous; 04-04-13 at 01:12.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You lost me at Mossberg.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    You may know this, but if you go with a barrel with a good coating (meaning something other than parkerizing) you may have a difficult time installing a standard front sight base. The melonite coating on that barrel will make it difficult to do the small cutouts for the pins for the standard front sight base. Some gunsmiths won't even attempt that installation on coated barrels.

Otherwise, the specs on the barrel all look good. But you just can't be sure by looking at specs. For example, when they say "carbine length gas hole", what they mean is carbine length gas hole LOCATION. There is no industry standard spec for the size (diameter) of the gas hole for carbines, rifles or even AR pistols. So you could get a hole that is too big or too small. That small issue could have a huge effect on how your guns functions (or doesn't function).

Since you say it is possibly for serious use, I'd get something from a more reputable manufacturer for barrels. If this was going to be a range toy or simply for a fun project gun, I would say go for it and buy the barrel.

Joe Mamma
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 04-04-13 at 09:55.
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    IIRC Mossberg is a OEM for many AR companies on the market, however I do not recall which ones.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's a 1/7 twist melonite barrel for $140. It's a steal regardless of it being Mossberg. I've heard of them producing barrels for various manufacturers but I cannot remember who, honestly. I know that Mossberg's AR are "commercial" but they do make a fine shotty, still.

I think it's the best deal you'll find on a barrel right now, IMO. Thinking about picking one up as a spare and this is coming from a BCM fanboy. If the gasport size isn't to your liking then return or sell it. Maybe I'm just drinking the melonite kool-aid at this point
    Last edited by djmorris; 04-04-13 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    You know Bravo Company has barrels in stock right?
    Why would you use an unknown for home defense?

If you are on a budget, the 2 parts you don't want to cheap out on are the bolt and the barrel.
    These parts are the heart of the rifle.
    At one point in time BCM was unproven too.

What's wrong with buying it and testing it out for himself?

Your post reads like he's going to drop it into a rifle and trust it implicitly... which is a little silly being that he's already asking for feedback on it.

Mossberg has been making barrels for decades. Can you give some evidence behind you belief that Mossberg doesn't know how to make an AR barrel, or are you just speculating?

For that price I'm tempted to try it out myself. I'd just like to know more about the steel used and the gas port dimensions...
    Last edited by Jim D; 04-04-13 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    At one point in time BCM was unproven too.

What's wrong with buying it and testing it out for himself?

Your post reads like he's going to drop it into a rifle and trust it implicitly... which is a little silly being that he's already asking for feedback on it.

Mossberg has been making barrels for decades. Can you give some validity behind you belief that Mossberg doesn't know how to make an AR barrel, or are you just speculating?

For that price I'm tempted to try it out myself. I'd just like to know more about the steel used and the gas port dimensions...
    Did you read the OP?
    The intended use is for home defense.

BCM send out T&E rifles to get the crap beat out of them.
    Google search "filthy 14".
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    Did you read the OP?
    The intended use is for home defense.

BCM send out T&E rifles to get the crap beat out of them.
    Google search "filthy 14".
    What's your point? Until any firearm is put through it's paces, it shouldn't be trusted. Who gives a crap what name is on the side if it performs?

I'm well aware of Pat's Filthy 14 rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast