Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lancer AWM follower isn't engaging bolt catch – anyone else seeing this?

Feedback Score

Lancer AWM follower isn't engaging bolt catch – anyone else seeing this?

I've got a problem where the follower in Lancer AWM mags doesn't engage the bolt catch in either of my two AXTS lowers. Instead, the follower gets caught on the front edge of the bolt catch's tongue, so the bolt doesn't hold open after the last round, and when ejecting the mag it has to be pulled out instead of dropping free (if the mag still has rounds in it, it will drop free). I've tried several GI aluminum and Magpul mags in both AXTS lowers without experiencing this problem, and the Lancer AWMs work fine in my Noveske lower.

I got out my calipers to measure what was going on, and the tongue on the AXTS bolt catch protrudes about 0.0125" less into the mag well than the Noveske bolt catch does, despite them being the same length. Since both the bolt catch and the magazine have a little wiggle room, I wasn't able to determine how much of the 0.0125" is caused by which part. It could be the distance between the bolt catch and the rear of the mag well or it could be the distance between the rear of the follower or magazine body and the rear of the mag well. Since the AXTS uses a proprietary bolt catch, I can't just swap it.

I contacted Abe at AXTS about it and he said they designed the bolt catch specifically to work with GI and Magpul mags, and that the tongue sticks out as far as it safely can without catching on the base of cartridges. He also took the time to ask some other manufacturers (he didn't say specifically which), and that they have also seen this issue with Lancer AWM mags.

Obviously, the easy fix is to use GI or Magpul mags. The problem is I already have a ton of Lancer mags because I prefer them. I've also tried putting GI and Magpul followers in the Lancer mags, but neither fits. I'm posting here to find out if anyone else has had a similar experience with Lancer mags, and to find out if anyone has a better idea than either replacing all my mags or having a modified bolt catch custom made.

Cheers!
    -Vorp
    Last edited by Vorpalis; 12-03-13 at 18:08.

Feedback Score
    I have a few of these magazines and they work fine in an m&p 15 and a built lower. The built lower was an Anderson lower with a LPK from PSA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can sell me half of your Lancer Mags

Or use only GI and Pmags in your AXTS lowers. I love Lancer Mags and actually prefer them over GI and Pmags. Luckily I don't have the same issues you have in your lowers.

Feedback Score
    I have the same exact problems with the Lancer AWMs in the three Colt lowers I have tested them in.

I'm now saving them to test out in the Beretta ARX-100 if it ever comes out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_281/2...g_problem.html
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 12-03-13 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have 12 of these magazines and have used them in BCM and a Colt lowers with no issues at all. I would probably address the issue with Lancer in the event that there is a defect.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I have the same exact problems with the Lancer AWMs in the three Colt lowers I have tested them in.

I'm now saving them to test out in the Beretta ARX-100 if it ever comes out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_281/2...g_problem.html
    I have a lot of Lancer mags with a lot of rounds through them (they are my mags of choice), I've never had any issues whatsoever. I will pull some out and check for that wear on the follower though, guessing it was a bad batch.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    I have some 45 Lancer AWM mags and everyone works Fine in my Bcm and spikes lowers.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    No issues with my 5 Lancer mags. They've performed flawlessly for me, as well any of my steel mags and pmags/emags. Looking to add a couple more 20 rounders to the inventory if you've got some you're willing to part with.

ETA: using KAC and Noveske lowers.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 12-05-13 at 23:09.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I prefer Lancer and old USGI. What I have found in testing mags in all my AR's is all the receivers are different. I have 3 Colts and one has a tight magwell that only likes USGI mags. Elander, Magpul and Lancer have to be slapped in and do not drop free in that Colt.
    Same in the TAVOR and SCAR - some mags are just tight. Not as bad as the AK mag issues though. What I did is check each mag in each rifle - yeh - a bit silly. Where I had lockup issues I used the side of a thin Dremel cutoff wheel and carefully kissed the edge as if sanding. Solved all my problems. Working on the Colt, Tavor or SCAR receiver was not an option for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpalis View Post
    I've got a problem where the follower in Lancer AWM mags doesn't engage the bolt catch in either of my two AXTS lowers. Instead, the follower gets caught on the front edge of the bolt catch's tongue, so the bolt doesn't hold open after the last round, and when ejecting the mag it has to be pulled out instead of dropping free (if the mag still has rounds in it, it will drop free). I've tried several GI aluminum and Magpul mags in both AXTS lowers without experiencing this problem, and the Lancer AWMs work fine in my Noveske lower.

I got out my calipers to measure what was going on, and the tongue on the AXTS bolt catch protrudes about 0.0125" less into the mag well than the Noveske bolt catch does, despite them being the same length. Since both the bolt catch and the magazine have a little wiggle room, I wasn't able to determine how much of the 0.0125" is caused by which part. It could be the distance between the bolt catch and the rear of the mag well or it could be the distance between the rear of the follower or magazine body and the rear of the mag well. Since the AXTS uses a proprietary bolt catch, I can't just swap it.

I contacted Abe at AXTS about it and he said they designed the bolt catch specifically to work with GI and Magpul mags, and that the tongue sticks out as far as it safely can without catching on the base of cartridges. He also took the time to ask some other manufacturers (he didn't say specifically which), and that they have also seen this issue with Lancer AWM mags.

Obviously, the easy fix is to use GI or Magpul mags. The problem is I already have a ton of Lancer mags because I prefer them. I've also tried putting GI and Magpul followers in the Lancer mags, but neither fits. I'm posting here to find out if anyone else has had a similar experience with Lancer mags, and to find out if anyone has a better idea than either replacing all my mags or having a modified bolt catch custom made.

Cheers!
    -Vorp
    Post #22 of this thread may be of interest to you. I don't own any AXTS lowers , but the following link may indicate something with their lowers or bolt catch.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...935-M6IC/page2

Although I cannot recommend Lancers either. I loved the translucency, but found that they tend to "waterfountain" a round or three when slapped in authoritatively on a bolt-locked-back condition. I experienced this with 30rd Lancer L5's and the later 20rd AWM's. I roll only Colt or OKay USGI 20rd & 30rd aluminum mags now. I'm still hoping one day for a translucent mag that doesn't do this. Someone indicated on another thread they have tested the new HK translucent mags for this and they are GTG in that respect, but I haven't tried them yet. I understand AUG mags do this too in a bolt-locked-back condition. Must be something about the polymer to make a translucent mag, even with metal reinforced lips like the Lancers.
    Last edited by G19A3; 12-23-13 at 04:24.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast