Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lancer AWM follower isn't engaging bolt catch – anyone else seeing this?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I ran three Lancer AWM mags in a recently Bennie Cooley class and I had issues with them (as I stated in my AAR).

I was running an SR15. I thought, originally it was the gun, but I was incorrect, it was in fact the mags. Bennie said that I should lube up the metal parts of the mag and see how well it runs after that. I did not during the class, but I did after at a range trip and they ran fine lubed. I shitcanned them shortly after in favor of PMAGS that ran without fail or issue.

Feedback Score
    Voodoo_Man

Can you link to your AAR? I can't find it in a search.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G19A3 View Post
    Voodoo_Man

Can you link to your AAR? I can't find it in a search.
    Links in my post, bennies name is highlighted

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the clarification.

However, I didn't see references specific to Lancers in your AAR. Apologies in advance for my ignorance.

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/09/aa...le-bennie.html

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G19A3 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

However, I didn't see references specific to Lancers in your AAR. Apologies in advance for my ignorance.

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/09/aa...le-bennie.html
    I thought I added that part, or maybe I posted on here about it in reference to my experience at the class.

I forget.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    I thought I added that part, or maybe I posted on here about it in reference to my experience at the class.

I forget.
    Are those drain holes in those mags? If so how old are they? Lancer fixed an issue a while ago that they had with the AWM's and the ones that had issues all had those drain holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for your responses!

I've done some more investigation and what I've found fits with what I'm reading here. The problem comes down to stacking tolerances, and the fault is partially the AXTS lower and bolt catch, but mostly it's with the Lancer AWM mags. Like I said above, the bolt catch on both of my AXTS lowers extends 0.0125" less into the mag well as the catch on other AR lowers. The biggest part of the problem, however, is where the Lancer AWM follower sits relative to the magazine body or the rear of the mag well. You can even eyeball this by setting a Lancer AWM and any other mag on their spines on a table – it's that obvious. If you take a Lancer AWM follower and measure the protrusion that engages the bolt catch, it's approximately the same length as on followers in GI mags and both Magpul's Gen 2 and Gen 3 mags. However, if you measure the distance between the spine of the mag and the follower's protrusion, it's significantly farther in Lancer AWMs, approximately 0.01", and therein lies the rub. Obviously, this isn't enough to cause a problem with most lowers, just the ones I own

For anyone else who comes across this post with the same issue, the best fix would be to mold replacement followers with a slightly longer protrusion. Yeah, that'd be a lot of work. The second-best fix would be to have a replacement bolt catch made with a slightly longer tongue. From my measurements, there is enough room between the rear edge of the follower and cartridge bases in a loaded mag that this could work without snagging on cartridges. This is probably what I'll do at some point. I've also heard of someone using a bolt catch meant for a 9mm upper – the tongue is a good half-inch long – and filing it down to the correct length.

In the meantime, I've found a workaround. I made a shim by cutting a slip of plastic out of the heavy ziplock bag that Lancer AWMs come in, and placed this shim in the bolt catch's slot in the lower receiver, behind the bolt catch. This effectively pushes the bolt catch forward just enough to *mostly* prevent Lancer AWM followers from snagging on the bolt catch, but leaves enough wiggle room that the bolt catch doesn't bind, probably aided by the plastic's lubricity. Ghetto, I know.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In the meantime, I've found a workaround. I made a shim by cutting a slip of plastic out of the heavy ziplock bag that Lancer AWMs come in, and placed this shim in the bolt catch's slot in the lower receiver, behind the bolt catch. This effectively pushes the bolt catch forward just enough to *mostly* prevent Lancer AWM followers from snagging on the bolt catch, but leaves enough wiggle room that the bolt catch doesn't bind, probably aided by the plastic's lubricity. Ghetto, I know.
    That's going to be fun when it dislodges and makes it's way into the FCG or chamber.

Feedback Score
    I'd opt for not using the Lancer mags.

Feedback Score
    A shim made of a slip of plastic out of the heavy ziplock bag to run an AR??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast