Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig SB-15 Initial Review

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Sig SB-15 Initial Review

Hey all, I'm pretty bored so I thought I would post up an initial review of my impressions of the new Sig SB-15 pistol arm brace. I just bought this to go on a BCM/LMT 12.5 build with a Rock River Arms pistol buffer extension. I apologize in advance for the photos, I'm certainly no Stickman with my shitty Iphone camera. If any other pictures or opinions would help anybody please let me know! Gun so far:

As far as the gun itself goes, I like it quite a bit so far. I went with good parts and it shows. My only beef is with the RRA part (shocker) because it doesn't use a castle nut, but I'm working on getting a better solution for that.

Here's a picture of the brace itself. The rubber is very thick and rigid, its actually a bit of work to get your arm in there (why anyone would do that I don't know.) I slid the brace pretty far down onto the buffer tube so that it would catch on the knurled part of the tube and be a bit harder to slide around. The brace will not slide around on its own, and it takes a pretty good amount of force to twist it around. Because of this the length of pull is very short, this may be uncomfortable to some as the brace itself isn't very long. I would compare it to a Vltor Imod in length. I prefer to run a stock mostly collapsed on my 16" carbine, especially if I'm shooting in armor. Again, this very well could be an issue for those of you who are comfortable shooting with your stock completely extended. I find that the Sig brace is the ideal length when shooting in armor, and just shorter than I would like without.

The picture I'm sure you all have been waiting for:

As far as the intended purpose of the brace: it's completely moronic. you can't really look down the sights, can't manipulate the weapon, and can't really use the controls. Forget about scoring good hits on target. I guess I understand the idea, but it just doesn't work. We all know what the real value of this brace is, and it functions far better in that regard.

Pros: You can skip the ATF wait, tax, and NFA paperwork and have what I would consider maybe 80% of the functionality of an SBR. It actually offers a pretty good cheek weld, if you don't mind how close in you have to tuck your carbine. Rubber is solid enough to function in the "traditional" sense. The stock is on the tube very tight, it took me and another meathead friend of mine to pull it off. I haven't tried to mortar the gun yet but I think the brace would probably do just fine. I consider myself to be stronger than most and it took an enormous amount of force to push the stock as far down as I did.

Cons: It can turn on the buffer tube because it isn't locked in at all. Sig should find some way to lock this in so it can't turn. It wouldn't be any different functionally if it went on a traditional buffer tube, but I'm sure the ATF in all their wisdom would never go for that. It is sold feeling piece of gear, but it's still rubber. You'd probably be **** out of luck if you were trying to squash somebodies head with it as opposed to a normal stock. A QD swivel also would have been nice, but I don't really expect that type of thing from Sig, especially on a product like this. Maybe they'll release a second gen of these at some point, but I kinda doubt it. Another con is that the stupid thing costs $140, more than almost every buttstock on the market, and most of your NFA tax stamp cost. You also have to pony up cash for the pistol buffer tube. The most obvious con is that the brace comes in black and not tan, which makes it infinitely less tactical.

I will continue to add my impressions to this thread as I use it more and more, I'm really hoping that it could be something that would work out long term, but we will see. As of now, I can definitely see this working for a temporary stop gap while you wait on the ATF to process your SBR paperwork.

Finally here are a couple reference pictures next to the real thing:

Last edited by Tzook; 12-04-13 at 20:34.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Ehhh...not into it. From the back the brace looks like a blown out gal's snatch and bunghole pushing out a turd.

I wanna run the piss out of it, leave it outside for 8 hours on a 100 degree day and shoot it, get it real cold and mortar it. After that I will quit laughing (as hard) at people spending 200 bucks to not have to spend 200 bucks for a tax stamp.

Feedback Score
    So are you illegal if you cheekweld it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon167 View Post
    So are you illegal if you cheekweld it?
    That I really don't know. I don't see any real way to regulate that, and the ATF did approve the product in it's current configuration, so I don't know. It's not my intention to do anything illegal or to encourage others to do anything illegal.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If this ATF says that this doesn't turn your AR-Pistol into a rifle (or SBR for that matter) then shouldering the arm brace should be legal. The same way that shouldering any pistol doesn't turn it into a rifle either.

A rifle is a rifle no matter how you shoot it. A pistol is a pistol no matter how you shoot it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    We were discussing this the other night. You cannot even remotely shoot that thing the way it was intended. I put it on my arm and felt like I was in Grindhouse Part II. I honestly don't know what the BATFE was thinking to be honest. It does seem however to work as a "faux SBR" and is definitely better than just a tube.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    IG that's pretty much my thought. It's ridiculous as intended. It's definitely not an ideal setup, but it is a pretty convenient stop gap. For sure worth it to some.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Even with a liberal dusting of talc inside these are a mother to slide on. So twisting during use is really a non-factor unless you have a smaller diameter extension. As I have average length reach and like shooting NTCH I would rate it about 95% compared to say an MOE stock. Stability and cheek weld feel equal to me.

Other Pros to factor in: you can loan it out, travel out of state and sell as easily as any AR.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    People do realize you don't have to slide it all the way on the tube till it is flush with the castle nut. Right?

You can leave space on the tube similar to say..... I don't know, maybe a regular stock extended one or two notches out. For better use as a brace of course.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I should have been more clear about that, you can slide the stock down as far or a little as you like.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast