Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What caliber for home defense?

Feedback Score

What caliber for home defense?

Greetings: I am a former Marine who owns a Sig 229 with both a 357sig & 40 S&W barrels. This sig 229 is part of my home defense. My question is what (357sig or 40S&W) with
    good shot placement will have the better chance of incapacitating a home invader who is threating to use lethal force?
    Thank-you for your time.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    Pick the one that gives you the fastest, most accurate follow-up shots. No magic bullets, especially handgun caliber. With your choices, I would probably pick the 40 s&w. Not because the 357 is no good, but the former is easier to come by for practice rounds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by REM_11 View Post
    Pick the one that gives you the fastest, most accurate follow-up shots. No magic bullets, especially handgun caliber. With your choices, I would probably pick the 40 s&w. Not because the 357 is no good, but the former is easier to come by for practice rounds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Shot placement is more important.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can practice more with the 40 because rounds are more plentiful and cheaper. All things considered. The 40 and practice. Lots.

Sent using Tapatalk
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    You can practice more with the 40 because rounds are more plentiful and cheaper. All things considered. The 40 and practice. Lots.

Sent using Tapatalk
    I echo these statements.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a Die Hard Sig .357 guy, I would suggest you go with 40SW as well. Strictly on cost of ammo and availability. If you could get either ammo free :-) , go .357.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I really like the .357 Sig. but I'm always leery of ammo availability. I'd go with the .40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Best advice I can give is , carry what ever caliber you can most accurately shoot best with, I have seen 22rimfire kill "the badguy" and badguy survive multiple hits of 45, 9mm, and all other pistol calibers with different types of ammo. Best terminal ballistics come from rifles with min 2200 or 2500 fps (can't remember) according tonthe FBI

Feedback Score
    All that matters with handgun terminal ballistics is how far the bullet penetrates and how wide the HP opens up. I'm sure the gel pics of premium ammo in both calibers are near identical since the companies are engineering the bullets to perform in a certain range no matter what the caliber. I doubt a well-shot intruder would notice a difference in terms of trauma. The .40 starts out with a larger dia. whether it opens up or not and ammo is widely available so that gives it the (slight) edge IMO.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    Greetings: I am a former Marine who owns a Sig 229 with both a 357sig & 40 S&W barrels. This sig 229 is part of my home defense. My question is what (357sig or 40S&W) with
    good shot placement will have the better chance of incapacitating a home invader who is threating to use lethal force?
    Thank-you for your time.
    Semper Fi
    Deep down inside we all know that a near miss from any kind of 45acp shot through a quality 1911 is more of a man stopper than a good hit with any 9mm!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast