Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H vs. H2 vs. H3 buffers

Feedback Score

H vs. H2 vs. H3 buffers

What's the difference other than the weight ofcourse? How do you know which one to use?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think there is any difference other than weight. As far as deciding which one to use, I would use the heaviest one that allows your rifle to still cycle completely and reliably. I like the heavier weights because it makes the rifle recoil softer and allows easier follow up shots.

Feedback Score
    i normally pick the heaviest one that will still cycle WOLF reliably and lock back on the last shot.

I take 20 mags, and load them all with ONE round. run through that cycle a few times, and you can be reasonably certain that the rifle will function correctly with that particular buffer.

HOWEVER. keep in mind, that when the rifle gets hot and dirty, you then may start experiencing short strokes with a heavier buffer.

SO, whatever the heaviest buffer that will reliably lock back on the last round, fully cycle........EVEN when using UNDERPOWERED ammo (wolf) and with a dirty action.

THAT is the buffer you want. a proper weight buffer will minimize battering of the parts, soften recoil impulse, improve follow up shots, increase dwell (hense increasing accuracy, and minimizing chamber blowback).....etc.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Good advice here.
    I have 3 SBRs (10", 11.5" and a 12.5") and run H2s with them. I experimented around with different ones and these had be best feel and still worked with weak ammo.

My Colt with PWS piston kit feels best with a Enidine buffer hydraulic buffer followed closely by a H2 buffer. With a H it feels weird is the only way I can describe it. With and H3 if feels like more linear recoil almost like shooting buckshot through a 20ga, very weird.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    i am running an rra 9mm buffer in my pws 10.5

Feedback Score
    The difference is weight. The result for the shooter is that it affects the feel of the recoil impulse.

Just after I got my 1st AR together (16" mid-length) I went shooting with a knowledgeable AR guy who brought along a selection of buffers. I tried H, H2, and a 9mm. Allowing for the fact that recoil is subjective, to me, with the 9mm buffer the rifle barely twitched. Conventional wisdom seems to be that you use the heaviest buffer you prefer, which which still cycles Wolf reliably.

I fired Wolf and Prvi 55gr. with the 9mm buffer and everything seemed in order. I plan to give myself a little margin and use the next step lighter than that, which would be an H2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
    The difference is weight. The result for the shooter is that it affects the feel of the recoil impulse.

Just after I got my 1st AR together (16" mid-length) I went shooting with a knowledgeable AR guy who brought along a selection of buffers. I tried H, H2, and a 9mm. Allowing for the fact that recoil is subjective, to me, with the 9mm buffer the rifle barely twitched. Conventional wisdom seems to be that you use the heaviest buffer you prefer, which which still cycles Wolf reliably.

I fired Wolf and Prvi 55gr. with the 9mm buffer and everything seemed in order. I plan to give myself a little margin and use the next step lighter than that, which would be an H2.
    No, next step lighter than the 9mm would be the h3

Car std 3.0oz
    Car H 3.8oz
    Car H2 4.6oz
    Car H3 5.4oz
    RRA 9mm 5.6oz

Feedback Score
    My mistake -

I had mentally counted H2 as the next step down, since the difference between H3 and 9mm is so small, and H2s seem to be more widely available than H3s.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! You guys have been a huge help. Will probably get an H2 or all three and sell off the ones that dont work for me

Feedback Score
    Where is the best place to buy new buffers and springs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast