Thread: Sight post height 14.5" M4

Feedback Score

Sight post height 14.5" M4

Acquired a 14.5" M4 type upper. After zeroing the upper, the front sight post sits very low in the "ears" of the sight base. I noticed that the sight post is shorter than a 16" front sight post. Is this low sitting post normal for the 14.5" I tried installing the longer sight post, but it bottomed out before it could be zeroed.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Need a lot more info here. Is the front sight a fixed or flip up, and who makes it? Is the rear sight carry handle, fixed, or flip up? Who makes it?

If you are trying to use a gas block type front sight on a rail, then you might get your result. Likewise, if you are using a micro rear sight with a normal front sight.

And, sometimes, different combinations of sights just don't work well together (but, I usually want a higher front post due to various problems with "F" marked front sight bases, and that's another story).

Also, how did you zero? Did you actually go to the range? What distance? If you used a laser boresight at home and tried to use a reflection at 10 yards as your PoA, you would also get that result.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Your post got me thinking, thank you. The rear sight was a damn troy micro! That's the problem! Replaced it, now it's great.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've messed up about every permutation/combination imaginable. Glad I could help.

Good luck.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley