Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for left handed shooters and sling set up.

Feedback Score

Question for left handed shooters and sling set up.

I am changing my sling set up from a single point sling to a two point Vickers Combat Applications Sling. I have the QD swivel attachment where my single point was attached at the junction of the upper receiver and the buffer tube. I was going to put the front QD swivel attachment on my hand guard on the 3 o'clock rail just in front of the upper receiver, however I am concerned that the sling may interfere with the ejection port. In cycling dummies by hand they clear the sling just fine. I know I will have to get to the range to try it out before I can call this rifle "mission ready," but can any left handed shooters let me know what their experiences are with this type of set up? Can I expect interference?
    I am liking the return to the two point set up. There is much more control of the rifle when I let it hang as opposed to the single point set up. This set up with the swivel just forward of the upper receiver is new to me, hopefully it will work out.
    If there is interference with ejection I may have to look into getting one of the offset swivel attachments from Daniel Defense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've never had a problem with any of my rifles but my attachment points are further apart than yours. I have one of the 'GI style' side swivel mounts under the gas block and use the bottom rear attachment point on an M4 style stock. Not ideal for most I'm sure, but it is more comfortable to me (don't feel like I'm choking myself as much on transitions). I don't think it would be a problem (with a 3-point sling it would be) but I would definitely test it to make sure if works correctly. One thing I would worry about might be the sling, if pulled tight, could keep the dust cover from opening on your first shot jamming up the action.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Is this the forward mounting position you're talking about? Mine hasn't caused me any problems, but obviously I can't guarantee it will work for you.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
    Is this the forward mounting position you're talking about? Mine hasn't caused me any problems, but obviously I can't guarantee it will work for you.
    Derek
    yeah but I think his rear point is at the back of the receiver not the stock too close in my opinion move it out to the rear of the stock like Derek's and it will work out pretty good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another southpaw here. I use a GI style side swivel mount under the gas block for the front attachment point and I mount to through the top of the standard rear M-4 collapsible butt stock with no problems what so ever.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies and ideas. Like any mission critical equipment I will try it out on the range and training first.

Derek, thanks for the picture. Yes, that is the forward mounting position I was talking about and I am glad to hear that it will probably work out. Why did you mount the sling on the left side of the stock? Hopefully this is not an ignorant question.

Regards,
    Black Dog

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Thanks for the replies and ideas. Like any mission critical equipment I will try it out on the range and training first.

Derek, thanks for the picture. Yes, that is the forward mounting position I was talking about and I am glad to hear that it will probably work out. Why did you mount the sling on the left side of the stock? Hopefully this is not an ignorant question.

Regards,
    Black Dog
    I originally had it on the right side, nearest to my body, and I found that the sling would sometimes get between the butt of the stock and my shoulder. I couldn't seem to find a way to get the sling comfortable and functional and not have this happen every now and then. By running the sling under the bottom of the stock and attaching it to the left side, I eliminated this issue. So far it has worked well for me and there doesn't appear to be any problem running it like that.

I may install a mount at the receiver end plate (like you have) sometime in the near future. I have very little experience using a sling with that sort of mount but I'm eager to try it out.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    OK, that makes sense about the sling placement and the sling getting caught between the stock and the body.

So far in running dry fire drills, including transitions to pistol (which I shoot right handed), I have had success with the sling mounted at the back of the receiver. This two point set up is a big improvement over the single point for me. I am going to the range tomorrow to try out the sling set up with live fire. If it functions without interference I will be very happy with this set up.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Hi BD,
    I'm a lefty and have two of my rifles set up exactly like you describe, same sling and attachment points. I have never had any problems with the set up.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i'm a lefty and have the front sling attach point at the rear of the handguard on 4 or 5 rifles. when used with a VCAS slings, i have yet to experience any interference with the ejection port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast