Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on the PSA 16" M4 CMV Rifle Kit?

Feedback Score

Opinion on the PSA 16" M4 CMV Rifle Kit?

Palmetto State Armory has been having these rifle kits on sale. I bought this same kit on black friday for $464.99 + shipping. For a rifle kit costing less than $500, and assembled by PSA, is there any reason not to buy it?

I built my wife a PSA m4 earlier in 2013. Overall I am happy with it as a casual shooter for my wife. I would like to build a few more rifles just to have around and this PSA rifle kit looked like it would fit the bill. Buit before I buy a bunch of them over the next few months I would like some feedback.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...rifle-kit.html

16" Barrel length
    Chrome moly vanadium barrel
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    1 in 7" twist rate
    Chrome-lined bore - not hammer forged.
    HPT/MPI Barrel
    M4 Feed ramps
    F-Marked Front sight post
    A2 Flash Hider
    Sling Loop
    Standard Hand Guards
    Forged Upper Receiver
    T-marks
    M16 Bolt Carrier Group - I'll have to wait and see about the quality and staking of gas key.
    Carpenter 158 Bolt
    Charging Handle
    PSA Classic Lower Build Kit - supposed to include mil-spec receiver extension.
    Last edited by ~kev~; 12-07-13 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is the bolt made of? Is it shot peened, HPT, MPI?

What is the receiver extension made of?

What weight is the buffer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    What is the bolt made of? Is it shot peened, HPT, MPI?
    I am going to guess this is the bolt carrier the kit comes with, http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ier-group.html

MPI Carpenter No. 158® steel bolt

It looks like the bolt is mpi, but not hpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    What is the receiver extension made of?

What weight is the buffer?
    I can not find specs on either of those parts.

PSA lower classic build kit - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...build-kit.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IMHO you are better to piece together a PSA rifle by buying the upper, the BCG, the LPK, and the receiver ext/buffer separately. They can all be from PSA, but just purchased separately (and optimally over time by taking advantage of the daily deals).

That way you can ensure you will get the premium PSA BCG (the branded one), the classic LPK with whatever grip you want, ensure you'll get the 7075 receiver ext, and be able to get an H buffer instead of a carbine buffer.
    Last edited by HackerF15E; 12-07-13 at 14:46.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What Hacker said, they have good products, but they also have some more bargain based products, which is fine if you want that. But for not much more money, you can get the testing, materials, etc that ensures you have something that you can expect to last. Sometimes the package deals leave a few things out. Not always, just something to watch for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    IMHO you are better to piece together a PSA rifle by buying the upper, the BCG, the LPK, and the receiver ext/buffer separately.
    That sounds like a good idea. Or get something like a bcm complete mil-spec buffer extension.

This is not going to be my main rifle. Its more like a spare. But I want it to be a good quality spare.
    Last edited by ~kev~; 12-07-13 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
    Or get something like a bcm complete mil-spec buffer extension.
    Yep, that is exactly what I did with a PSA build a couple years ago. BCM let me pick which buffer and which stock I wanted (which PSA didn't allow), and not only was that very convenient but it also explicitly stated it was a 7075 tube where PSA's materials were not listed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    Yep, that is exactly what I did with a PSA build a couple years ago. BCM let me pick which buffer and which stock I wanted (which PSA didn't allow), and not only was that very convenient but it also explicitly stated it was a 7075 tube where PSA's materials were not listed.
    I think that is what I am going to do.

Take the psa receiver extension and put it in storage with other spare parts. Then buy a 7075 mil-spec tube. The shoulder stock itself should work on both tubes as it is supposed to fit a mil-spec sized tube.

As for the bolt carrier assembly itself, as prices continue to come down I might replace it later on. Rainier arms and the PSA premium BCGs have both been on sale lately for between $109 - $119. I ordered a PSA premium BCG a couple of days ago for one of my current rifles.

Feedback Score
    The charging handle in that kit is probably one of their cheaper 6061 aluminum ones instead of their stronger mil-spec 7075 aluminum one.

Joe Mamma
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 12-07-13 at 20:13.
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Its a decent kit for the price, but as mentioned by others, you would benefit by swapping other parts with more quality products.

Now if this kit was cheaper (say in the $450 price range), then its a good buy just as long as you understand what you are getting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast