Thread: Arktis 1601 K170 battle vest

Feedback Score

Arktis 1601 K170 battle vest

I got this for my son who is just starting to get his own gear.
    I've always heard that Arktis was really good gear and he seemed to know what he wanted.

Did I get him some good quality gear or should I see about getting him something better?
    Sorry for what may be a dumb question but my experience was long ago in the 70's.

Feedback Score
    First question I have is your location, and by that I mean US or GB? Reason I ask is that will make a difference as to gear referrals.

I own the vest you purchased. It has a lot of good points, such as the zippered map pouches, I like how the design fits my body, and the utility pouches on the sides. I also always liked the British DPM pattern as well for my area. The pouches can be opened silently with the buckles, and the addition of a piece of velcro covering the sewn pieces allow the pouches to be opened quietly if he carries equipment in them other than mags and such.

Negatives with this vest tend to be somewhat towards the quality side of things. It is useable, and I used mine for some LEO duties when I needed to do some surveilance duties. I still would use this vest for LEO sniper duty in my area. However, the stitching and material does not seem to be as durable, bombproof, or wear resistant as other quality manufacturers. The drag handle on the top I doubt would hold up to dragging my equipment-loaded ass out of the way.

If you are wanting to get good gear for him, one needs to know what he does and will use it for, what he needs, what he's allowed, what he can afford, and what fits him.

Feedback Score
    Well first off we live in Cali., not a great place to live anymore.
    He is 20 y.o. and can't go into the military because of a medical condition.
    As for what he will use it for, besides camping and carrying his mags to the range I really dont know, it's in Cadpat camo and I think your right about the drag handle, I cant get my hand around it and I dont think your going to drag a 6'2" 220 pounder anywhere using it.

He's built alot like alot of the guys here sound, long and lean. Unlike the old man who is more barrel with legs and arms.

As for what he needs and can afford, that depends on how much I can afford to spend on more of his gear, after I get a set for every other member of the family.
    Since there are 4 more of us to get gear we used him for a test subject.
    I personally am in favor of one of Diz's split front 6 cell rigs since I am not the hump till you drop youngster anymore.
    But I think the wife and daughters are more the 4 cell split front type.
    Besides I got the Arktis for $80 delivered and it lists for $215 and I can always sell it later if he decides to go with a different design, best of all it holds 12 FAL mags. Good thing he is young.:

The gear I buy are going to be for our BOB's and for family "training days".
    Guess you cant get the young Marine out of the old man, but I do want my family to have the gear they need just in case.
    So I am asking for considered opinions and reasons that it is the gear of choice.

Feedback Score
    Artkis is top-notch gear. If you can get it over here, for a good price, it's not a bad way of going. Check out some of the Brit or Canadian military websites for good user comment. (British Army Rumor Service: arrse.co.uk)

It sounds like you would be interested in Tactical Tailor's website. Check out their MAV series of chest rigs. Excellent kit and reasonable prices, for outfitting the whole familia. He makes several models, including split front.
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    Actually Diz, I've looked at all the major manufaturers and none of them have all the features of your Alleycat or Multi-Cam rigs.

From the kydex inserts to the lumbar panel to the X strap and water carrier in a split front that will fit a barrel bodied old fart like me, and you can make them to fit the wife and daughters also.

So, as soon as finances permit, my family will start getting our carry gear.
    I always knew having a larger family would cost me, just didn't know how much.......But I do love them alot...............

Feedback Score
    If you want to outfit them with Arktis Vests, $80 is a good price. However, my thoughts are if you're trying to outfit a family a standard ALICE setup, either with LBE suspenders or a LBV. Cost to obtain them are cheaper. Another thing is individual family members can find out what fits them better and what their preferences might be.

Feedback Score
    I've already tried the standard LBE with the family and none of them like the way it fits or the way it rides, especially the women.

That's the driving imperative behind trying to find suitable gear made for them.
    Since I already have gear for me, it made sense to listen to what they think they need and not force them to go with what has worked for me since I was much younger.
    My son is very happy with the way the Arktis fits and is comfortable with the weight distribution it provides for him.
    I can't wear it as I am a bit larger framed than he is, sounds lot's better than "old and fat", and it doesn't have enough adjustment for the differences in our sizes.
    We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Feedback Score

Arktis 1624

I have an Arktis 1624, (now M173). I found this rig after a lot of trial and error left me wondering if I'd ever find something that was affordable, adaptable, rugged and had good utility. After reading an excellent article on another site and corresponding with the author, I purchased my 1624 and never looked back....Awesome set up.

Feedback Score
    i have been looking at the blackwater quad mag vest with 2 gp pouches in 4 colors. i saw that botach has them on sale/clearance for around $60, you may want to check this out. i am picking up 2 of them in multicam. something of a gtfod vest for now. i haven't seen them yet, but they look good enough. my dos centavos.

all the time i am working on my ultimate 1st and 2nd line gear, one pouch/piece at a time. i too live in california. in the central valley i see plenty of brown in the summer and green in the winter. multicam fits pretty good in this environment as a base, so that is what i go with mixed with coyote brown.

if i ever get the job i want in the bay area, i plan to cache some gear and guns at mom's house to include this vest.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"