Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand pic thread

Feedback Score
    Baghhhh
    Last edited by Burma Shave; 11-08-18 at 03:06.

Feedback Score
    Vag123
    Last edited by Burma Shave; 11-08-18 at 03:07.

Feedback Score
    Very cool. Winchester is the one to have ... they were the first company to be awarded the M1 Garand contract, and they had to scramble to meet it. That's when Springfield came into the picture. Win's had some issues with their stocks requiring hand fitting, and the two did trade some parts to get rifles out the door. So, yours may be more "reality authentic" given its Springfield stock

Thanks for sharing the detailed pics and descriptions!
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Very cool. Winchester is the one to have ... they were the first company to be awarded the M1 Garand contract, and they had to scramble to meet it. That's when Springfield came into the picture. Win's had some issues with their stocks requiring hand fitting, and the two did trade some parts to get rifles out the door. So, yours may be more "reality authentic" given its Springfield stock

Thanks for sharing the detailed pics and descriptions!
    Considering that I doubt armorers at any or every level (except the factory level) had access to manufacturer-specific replacement parts, I would expect that most WWII production Garands would have been mix-masters by the start of Korea and most Korean War Garands would have been the same by the time the Army put them into cold storage in the 60s.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Considering that I doubt armorers at any or every level (except the factory level) had access to manufacturer-specific replacement parts, I would expect that most WWII production Garands would have been mix-masters by the start of Korea and most Korean War Garands would have been the same by the time the Army put them into cold storage in the 60s.
    Totally agree - we see the same thing with M1 Carbines. They all went through post-war rebuilds where the parts were stripped and put into buns. All bets were off after that as they grabbed parts to reassemble rifles.

Feedback Score
    I understand / knew what you're pointing out ... I'm hoping / there may be a chance the stock is original to the rifle. There's some good write ups online on how Winchester & Springfield had to work together / trade parts, sometimes begrudgingly, to keep up the pace. So it is possible the stock is original

OP ... you can look at how tight the edges of bands / ferrules (if that's the right word) ... if very sharp to each other, would support original wood.
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    An SA NFR stock would not have been marked that way at WRA. The markings would have only been done that way at SA. General Norman F. Ramsey was the CO at SA from Oct 8,1944 to Nov 15,1945. That is long after the receiver was made in Jan of 1942. A correct stock would be marked W.R.A./W.B. for when it was inspected at the time it was made.
    Last edited by FlaDon; 02-01-18 at 01:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaDon View Post
    An SA NFR stock would not have been marked that way at WRA. The markings would have only been done that way at SA. General Norman F. Ramsey was the CO at SA from Oct 8,1944 to Nov 15,1945. That is long after the receiver was made in Jan of 1942. A correct stock would be marked W.R.A./W.B. for when it was inspected at the time it was made.
    Again, I agree here - while parts may have been exchanged, a much more common thing with M1 Carbines, an acceptance stamp would not have been applied until the rifle was fully complete and had been inspected. In any case, you've got a beautiful piece of history. Enjoy it!!

Feedback Score
    Ah, whelp, I bow to facts then

Feedback Score
    Lots of fantastic rifles. Too bad so many of the photos don't work anymore.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast