Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: idiot proof TQ recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for updating your old thread! There was a lot of great information in here and I agreed with most people that the CAT is about the simplest and quickest for most folks who are not combat medics. I just wanted to add that I have now replaced my beloved CAT tourniquets in my IFAK with the SAM Extremity Tourniquet (XT). SAM Medical was nice enough to send me a couple to evaluate (I write for an international police publication) and I was at first sceptical about all the holes. But they make a good point in that most people don't put them on tight enough. The SAM XT solves that because the ratchet locks into the holes when enough tension is reached. I would now say that the SAM XT is the quickest and easiest TQ I have ever used.

The reason they sent me two is that I wanted to test one to destruction. (It's what I do before I write about stuff.) They said to do what I wanted with it, and send them back the pieces. Here is the amazing part - I could NOT break the darn thing. I tried everything. As I was sitting in my backyard frustrated because I couldn't break it, I started eyeing up my floor jack that I had just used to change over the tires on my truck. It is rated at 3-tons. Hmmm.

So I wrapped the XT around the jack and started cranking. Now, either I am getting old; the jack is not performing up to its rating; or ... well, I STILL could not break it. I just finally gave up, marked it for training purposes and threw it in with the rest of my training kit.

I am loving the SAM XT. And, lest you think I am saying that just because they sent it to me for free, so did CAT. I still love my CATs and they go in my big vehicle kit, but the one on my hip that I am going to trust with my life (and hopefully never need) is the SAM XT.

By the way, I did the same test on the CAT and it was equally impressive. It held until near the end when I couldn't crank anymore, and the velcro started slipping a bit. And don't forget that this crude backyard - literally - test FAR exceeded any practical or operational usage.

And, it's always nice to know that if my floor jack ever suffers a severe extremity wound, I know what to go for first.

Feedback Score
    Another necro post....sorry.....
    Just to check pricing......how much for some of the tourniquets listed? Ballpark would be great. I don’t want to buy a cheap fake. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    SOFT-T Wide is $30 on eBay

SAM-XT is $38

I -thought- that was the highly recommened unit. but after reading this neco, now I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by tb-av; 02-03-18 at 22:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Another necro post....sorry.....
    Just to check pricing......how much for some of the tourniquets listed? Ballpark would be great. I don’t want to buy a cheap fake. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    SOFT-T Wide is $30 on eBay

I -thought- that was the highly recommened unit. but after reading this neco, now I'm not so sure.
    SOFTT-W and CAT v7 are GTG. Each has some attributes some favor over the other. I prefer the former.

Don't buy TQs on ebay. Use a vetted vendor like Tactical Medical Solutions, North American Rescue, and site sponsors as applicable.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Good stuff, thanks for the pricing. I didn’t want cheap Chicom counterfeit products.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123