Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Streamlight MicroStream, Protac 1AA and Protac HL

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Review: Streamlight MicroStream, Protac 1AA and Protac HL

Description:
    All the listed flashlights have the C4 LED that Streamlight has recently been putting into each of their flashlights. The Protac 1AA and HL are both ten-tap programmable flashlights which you can switch the High-Strobe-Low order of occurrence, works really well for hard use flashlights that you want a specific option only and not others. I purchased all the above from Amazon (see links above), since they have the best deals.
    http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/12/st...c-1aa-and.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Exceptional review - as always Voodoo Man - well done.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good review and even better timing as I am looking at adding a Streamlight MicroStream, ProTac 1AA, ProTac 2AA, and a ProTac 2AAA, to my kit. I have plenty of lights that run off CR123s but want some lights that can run on readily available and inexpensive double and triple A's. I'm also in the process of setting up solar charging options for both battery types.

Edit to add: LAPG has good prices on Streamlight products they even beat Amazon's, currently they have FREE shipping on all Streamlight orders over $125 and are running a 15% off promo with code ENDY15.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 12-28-13 at 17:59.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks guys.

Do yourself a favor and pick one up, worst case sell it, but if you break it streamlights warranty is awesome.

Feedback Score
    Can the HL be manipulated such that light pressure on the tailswitch gives momentary on/off, and pressure-to-click locks it on, all in the high power mode? Or does it change power modes every time it cycles on/off?
    Is it able to adapt to a remote pressure switch for weapon mounting, and does Streamlight offer a switch?
    How hot does the HL get after being on for 1 minute? 5 or 10 minutes?

Appreciate any (groan) light you can shed on the subject, Voodoo Man.
    Excreta tauri vincit omnia !

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tonic View Post
    Can the HL be manipulated such that light pressure on the tailswitch gives momentary on/off, and pressure-to-click locks it on, all in the high power mode? Or does it change power modes every time it cycles on/off?
    Is it able to adapt to a remote pressure switch for weapon mounting, and does Streamlight offer a switch?

I have not done the research to see if streamlight makes a pressure switch so I couldn't tell you. I believe the answer is no, but they come out with stuff all the time. As for the programming, I believe that you can change it to high only.

As I stated in my TLR1s review, if you need a weapon light, look at the TLR1 HL, since it takes the same back switches the standard model does and has the same high output.

As for heat, yes it gets hot to the touch after prolonged use. Nothing that will burn your hands, but on a warm summer night, it'll be something you wouldn't want touching your body for long.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply Voodoo Man.
    I've got a unique mounting situation on an SBR that I'm trying to solve, but I should probably start a new thread for it.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Excreta tauri vincit omnia !

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply Voodoo Man.
    I've got a unique mounting situation on an SBR that I'm trying to solve, but I should probably start a new thread for it.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Post up I'm sure we can figure it out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm a big fan of the Protac HL and was an early adapter. I have several scattered around the house and cars and this is an excellent handheld light for a variety of tasks. however, this is not my thread so I don't want to dis voodooman but I don't see the HL (or any variable programmable input light) as suitable for weapons use. I have seen these types of lights change programs under recoil.

IMO, if you want an affordable and reliable HL light for a weapon I would look at the TLR1 HL http://www.lapolicegear.com/st-69260-tlr-1hl.html. they appear to have the same light module and offer the same output though the beam may not be the same. it comes with it's own mount so the overall cost will be similar with a superior light rated for weapons use...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Protac HL and was an early adapter. I have several scattered around the house and cars and this is an excellent handheld light for a variety of tasks. however, this is not my thread so I don't want to dis voodooman but I don't see the HL (or any variable programmable input light) as suitable for weapons use. I have seen these types of lights change programs under recoil.

IMO, if you want an affordable and reliable HL light for a weapon I would look at the TLR1 HL http://www.lapolicegear.com/st-69260-tlr-1hl.html. they appear to have the same light module and offer the same output though the beam may not be the same. it comes with it's own mount so the overall cost will be similar with a superior light rated for weapons use...
    I agree, and I alluded to it. I had the Protac HL, and a Thorntail mount, so I combined the two. We put around 350 rounds downrange during the night shoot and not one change the program or effected the light in any negative way. But I do agree that it may cause issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast