Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Undercover

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Also look at a Ruger SP 101 with a 3 inch barrel or a S@W 60-15 with a 3 inch barrel.
    Actually, as Steve S points out, if it were a choice between recent S&W and a pre-MIM Ruger, I'd go with the Ruger SP101. Tell-tale sign is the hollow in the back of the trigger if you're not familiar with MIM. The hollow trigger is not the better option.

Feedback Score
    A heavier revolver will be easier to shoot (provided it still fits her hand) and a longer barrel will be ballistically more efficient, but that longer barrel will also make it easier for a bad guy to take the gun away. At "in the home" ranges, the bad guy will be close (think Tueller Drill), and that longer barrel might be a negative.

Make sure she takes some top end training. LFI-1 (now it's called MAG-40, I believe) is well worth the time and money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Also look at a Ruger SP 101 with a 3 inch barrel or a S@W 60-15 with a 3 inch barrel.
    Agreed! If size is a consideration, the J-frame or the Ruger are good options. The Colt D-frame was possibly the best overall ideal size for a compact revolver, but prices have gone thru the roof since they are discontinued. The thing to remember about small revolvers is that they're not that easy to shoot for a variety of reasons, and must be practiced with, at least with a regular dry fire regiment often to maintain a decent level of proficiency. It would be good for her to take a couple of classes - one basic gun handling, and the other covering practical use of such a gun for defensive purposes. She may come away with sore hands and blistered fingers after a day of class. I have run revolver transitions with my employer and seen similar results.

Also consider getting her a fairly secure way of storing a home defense gun for when she is away from home. I had to deal with a family member who stored her J- frame, unloaded in her underwear drawer years ago. The apartment staff let the cable guy in to fix the box that didn't need repair while she was on vacation and she noticed the gun gone five months later. I pressed her to make a report anyway, and she discovered it had been recovered two weeks earlier after a gang shooting. Took forever to get it back. Not that this situation applies to yours, but something for everyone to consider. Have the serial number recorded for such situations.

Also remember that speed loaders are really good to have, along with a small LED tac light.

Charter has had some good ideas over the years, but the examples I've handled are not overly robust. For durability, I don't know if they're any better than an alloy J-frame, but I'd put my money on the J.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    A heavier revolver will be easier to shoot (provided it still fits her hand) and a longer barrel will be ballistically more efficient, but that longer barrel will also make it easier for a bad guy to take the gun away. At "in the home" ranges, the bad guy will be close (think Tueller Drill), and that longer barrel might be a negative.
    The benefits of the 2-4" barrel outweigh the liabilities. Especially that one.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coastwatcher42 View Post
    I have been looking at the Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spl for her.
    Why, don't you like her?

Find a used S&W 65 Lady Smith, she'll love it
    http://www.gunshopfinder.com/smithan...wesson65ls.asp

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Personally, I would get an S&W model 640 and keep it loaded with .357cal. The revolver is all metal and does a very good job with recoil, plus it has an internal hammer that won’t get caught up on clothing. I would also put Crimson Trace Grips on it. I have found that the laser from the CT Grips illuminate in the darkness pretty well. Not as well as a flashlight, but well enough to determine the threat. Also, bad guys do not like seeing a red dot on their chest and might just decide this is not the time or place to die.

The Crimson Trace LG 305 Extended Grip does an excellent job of cushioning and absorbing felt recoil. It is plenty big enough for her hands. It also does a good job with leverage if someone attempts to disarm your wife. This setup is also good for concealment in various places including, but not limited to her purse or even pocket carry depending on type of clothing. You can also find lots of low recoil .38cal ammunition for practicing. Not to mention that there are an infinite amount of holsters out there for a J Frame Revolver

As stated above, the J Frame Revolver is not the easiest gun to become proficient with. However, with lots of practice it is doable. That is why I recommend the Crimson Trace Laser Grips. She can practice dry firing the gun in conjunction with the laser and become proficient. The laser is a great training tool. When my wife and I have a date night, we always stop at the range first and shoot our guns before we see a movie and sit down for a nice dinner. Also if your wife is timid about guns, start her out with a .22call gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
    Personally, I would get an S&W model 640 and keep it loaded with .357cal. The revolver is all metal and does a very good job with recoil, plus it has an internal hammer that won’t get caught up on clothing. I would also put Crimson Trace Grips on it. I have found that the laser from the CT Grips illuminate in the darkness pretty well. Not as well as a flashlight, but well enough to determine the threat. Also, bad guys do not like seeing a red dot on their chest and might just decide this is not the time or place to die.

The Crimson Trace LG 305 Extended Grip does an excellent job of cushioning and absorbing felt recoil. It is plenty big enough for her hands. It also does a good job with leverage if someone attempts to disarm your wife. This setup is also good for concealment in various places including, but not limited to her purse or even pocket carry depending on type of clothing. You can also find lots of low recoil .38cal ammunition for practicing. Not to mention that there are an infinite amount of holsters out there for a J Frame Revolver

As stated above, the J Frame Revolver is not the easiest gun to become proficient with. However, with lots of practice it is doable. That is why I recommend the Crimson Trace Laser Grips. She can practice dry firing the gun in conjunction with the laser and become proficient. The laser is a great training tool. When my wife and I have a date night, we always stop at the range first and shoot our guns before we see a movie and sit down for a nice dinner. Also if your wife is timid about guns, start her out with a .22call gun.
    The best .38 loads are good enough that there's no reason to load .357 and all that goes with it.

A laser is fine, but it doesn't replace a white light and doesn't provide the threat ID and discrimination needed.

OP- Where are you at with this process? What'd you guys decide?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    The best .357 loads are good enough that there's no reason to load .357 and all that goes with it.

A laser is fine, but it doesn't replace a white light and doesn't provide the threat ID and discrimination needed.

OP- Where are you at with this process? What'd you guys decide?
    I was not giving advice to the OP that all she needed was a Laser instead of a flashlight of some type. I was only stating that there are several good reason to have a Crimson Trace Laser if they so choose. I guess I don't understand what you are talking about reference the .357 load. I personally like the Speer Gold Dot 357 Mag (short barrel) for my Snubnose when I carry. However, I usually practice with Federal American Eagle Ammunition 38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket. To each their own I guess...
    Last edited by JeremyW; 03-18-14 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
    I was not giving advice to the OP that all she needed was a Laser instead of a flashlight of some type. I was only stating that there are several good reason to have a Crimson Trace Laser if they so choose.
    I may have misinterpreted your comment then. Can you elaborate on this?

I have found that the laser from the CT Grips illuminate in the darkness pretty well. Not as well as a flashlight, but well enough to determine the threat.
    I guess I don't understand what you are talking about reference the .357 load. I personally like the Speer Gold Dot 357 Mag (short barrel) for my Snubnose when I carry. However, I usually practice with Federal American Eagle Ammunition 38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket. To each their own I guess...
    Typo, sorry about that. That should read:

The best .38 loads are good enough that there's no reason to load .357 and all that goes with it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Crimson Trace Laser is a great training tool. It can help with accuracy while shooting on the move, shooting in unconventional positions, aid in proper shooting techniques/trigger control and yes in low light conditions it does give a little illumination. I would never tell anyone that they do not need a flashlight if they had a laser mounted to their firearm. They are two different beasts all together. IMO...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast