Thread: Ammo can loose capacity

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Ammo can loose capacity

I've got a carbine class coming up in the fall. I'm bringing 1200 rounds of 5.56 and 500 rounds of .40. I've got 12 pmags and 6 G22 mags that I will preload. The rest of the loose ammo will go into the cans for reloading during the breaks.

What is the preferred can size for 5.56? Is a .30 cal can big enough or should I consider a .50? 100-200 or so could be left out for overnight refill so I'm looking for about 1000 rounds total loose pack. I think a .30 or smaller will do for the handgun ammo.

I will not be keeping loaded mags in the cans.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I get about 650-700 loose 556 in a 30 cal can in a 50 around 1100. I don't shoot 40 but can easily put 1000+ 9mm in a 30 cal can.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post
    I'd relate NCSTAR more to an incurable STD. Sure, you can get rid of the evidence that you ever owned it, but you will spend the rest of your life praying nobody finds out what you did (bought).

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I was able to get close to around 1100 rounds in a standard size ammo can.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When I'm loading a can for ran/storage, I get 500 5.56 into a 30 cal can with room to spare.. like 1-2" from the top. That makes for an even volume load that's not too terribly heavy to lug around.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Keep in mind if you bring a .50 cal can full of 5.56 you'll have to carry it wherever you go during the class....not fun.

You might want to bring a couple .30 calilber cans.

And here's another idea, buy a couple of mag bandoliers, most can hold six or eight mags, fill the mags up, and carry those instead.

Unless your class is going to be burning through ammo at an impressive rate, you can probably make it either half a day with your two bandos of magazines.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    Keep in mind if you bring a .50 cal can full of 5.56 you'll have to carry it wherever you go during the class....not fun.
    Yeah... 50 cal can for 5.56 is not a mobility package at all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like ammo loaded on strippers and thrown in an easily portable range bag of some sort. This Tactical Tailor Crossfire bag holds several hundred rounds at a time, enough for each day of training.

2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Use the military method. load the ammo into stripper clip. Load the strippers into cardboards and cloth bandoliers. you can carry less magazines that way, and no heavy cans.

I carry a basic load. Mag in weapon, two mag carriers with three mags each on the belt, and if needed, I throw a few bandoliers over my shoulder Don't forget an adapter pinned onto each bandolier.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I like ammo loaded on strippers and thrown in an easily portable range bag of some sort. This Tactical Tailor Crossfire bag holds several hundred rounds at a time, enough for each day of training.

Ammo on strippers in range bag is what I prefer as well. If OP decides to go can route at least give stripper clips a try, reloading mags in class takes way too much time. That time could be used in more productive ways.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 05-12-14 at 14:02.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.