Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I over cleaning my rifle?

Feedback Score

Am I over cleaning my rifle?

The only reason I ask this is after reading many threads and god knows how many post, more people clean their barrel when accuracy starts to drop off. They are more less referring to when to clean out the copper

But what about POWDER from rounds shot that day? I know it's not corrosive ammo (at least the ammo I shoot).

I only will clean the copper out of my barrel min after 1500-2000 rounds. Powder I use to clean when I got a round too it...I took a class where I shot 500 rounds and didn't clean the powder out for a few more months, in between those few months probably shot another 500 or so.

So my question is not when to clean the copper but the powder?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Personally, I just run a boresnake through my barrel after each range trip. I never really get too anal about it unless it's a precision rifle.

For my issued M4, I do the same, but run a few oiled patches to prevent corrosion from sitting in the lockers for a week or so at a time. I don't have a long gun anymore so I just run the boresnake through, patch it up, and back in the rack it goes. And hell, I OVERCLEAN my barrel compared to the other guys in my Company who never patch their barrels.

On deployment, I never really clean my barrel. I barely shot a basic load total my first deployment and a whopping 3 rounds from my M4 my second trip.

You're good, bro. It's really just personal preference in my limited experience with chrome lined ARs.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't overthink it by making a distinction between powder and copper. Just clean it when accuracy suffers or when you experience malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    I run a bore snake with CLP after each range session--3 passes addresses my OCD.

Once a year, I use foaming bore cleaner in the rifles I shoot over 1,000 rounds/year. The cleaner that turns brass & copper blue, is what I'm referring to. The lesser-fired rifles get their bore scrubber when I look in the bore & ask myself--when was the last time I cleaned this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post
    I wouldn't overthink it by making a distinction between powder and copper. Just clean it when accuracy suffers or when you experience malfunctions.
    Thanks for the input guys.

I always interpreted it as you clean the barrel to get the copper out..but didn't know if you were suppose to clean out the powder in between cleaning.

Example cleaning the powder out after every range trip, once you see the groups opening up fully clean the barrel (get the copper fouling out)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The best information I've come across...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV9QvEm1nFc

Its long, but worth the watch.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Aww hell am i overcleaning??? I use bore foam after every range session!! (Only like 120 rounds at a time, maybe twice a month)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're cleaning right, you can't over-clean. I think the biggest problem with thinking you need to clean every time you shoot is that you'll get bored with it and the pendulum will swing to the other side and you'll tend to neglect them, after a while. These days a lot of people say don't clean at all, others say clean every time and in between for the hell of it; so you know reality is somewhere in the middle.

As to copper: I've personally never once de-coppered. Never. I'd never even heard of it, until I'd been shooting for a good 5 or 6 years, and thought it sounded pretty abusive and wasteful then. I still think it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
    If you're cleaning right, you can't over-clean. I think the biggest problem with thinking you need to clean every time you shoot is that you'll get bored with it and the pendulum will swing to the other side and you'll tend to neglect them, after a while. These days a lot of people say don't clean at all, others say clean every time and in between for the hell of it; so you know reality is somewhere in the middle.

As to copper: I've personally never once de-coppered. Never. I'd never even heard of it, until I'd been shooting for a good 5 or 6 years, and thought it sounded pretty abusive and wasteful then. I still think it is.
    Yea I had that happen before where I didn't want to clean them for a while with no ill effects but that doesn't say anything long term effects

I was just curious if people cleaned out the powder every range trip or just said the hell with it. Meaning they cleaned it when they got a round to it...if that means tomorrow, 2 weeks, 6 months or 2 years from now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bore-Tech Eliminator, a nylon brush, and a bunch of patches. Every time I shoot it.
    America is not at war... The U.S. Military is at war... America is at the mall.
    I love cigars!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast