Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Army Chief's Colt 1911s

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    BTW, the Rail Gun was NOT Chuck's last project. There is another one that's being finished now. This one is promised to be the most beautiful one, it will go to Chuck's daughter. I believe the Rail Gun was given to one of his sons.
    Spot on Sam. As you might imagine, AC's 1911 legacy was well thought out. He made sure to sit me down on a few occasions and prescribe out the firearm distribution amongst his 3 kids. He raised us all as shooters, 1911 fans, and appreciators of craftsmanship. The caliber and quality of his 1911 collection is not lost on us. We all treasure the tactile memories associated with each one of his firearms; especially his .45s. The final build you mentioned is indeed going to AC's daughter. He felt it appropriate to leave his most attractive and most museum worthy piece to her. My brother and I each received a pair of more utilitarian combat/carry guns which will be used, abused, cared for, and treasured the way he would want them to be.

- K

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karabiner View Post
    ....... My brother and I each received a pair of more utilitarian combat/carry guns which will be used, abused, cared for, and treasured the way he would want them to be.

- K
    That's the best testament I can think of to your father. It's an excellent thing to do.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Picture working fine for me, must be your rotten apple.

BTW, the Rail Gun was NOT Chuck's last project. There is another one that's being finished now. This one is promised to be the most beautiful one, it will go to Chuck's daughter. I believe the Rail Gun was given to one of his sons.
    from AC/Chuck in his own words
    Tracking on your CRG finish thoughts now. For duty purposes, I would likely have gone with a black Cerakote, definitely. I considered it. Instead, I just wanted to stick with something that was imminently easy to care for and touch up, and suited to everything from the nightstand to the backpack. Plus, I don't have any other stainless 1911s these days, and I really did like the idea of sticking with whole black & silver Warrant Officer thing. Subtle, but meaningful to me.

The Retro will get a deep, dark 2000 grit bluing job w/Nitre accents, definitely. (Challis is doing the ivory right now.) As close to a BBQ gun as I am willing to own, but I think it will suit the theme well, as I wanted to do the whole "Best of the Old (Retro) / Best of the New (CRG)
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post

Well now Bob, are we not friends anymore?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karabiner View Post
    Spot on Sam.
    - K
    Thank you Matt for stopping by during this tough time for your family. We will be thinking of your family on Wednesday.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It took me awhile to locate these following pictures on the internet, but finally ....

This is a Colt Lightweight Commander in .45acp that Ted Yost and Jason Burton at Heirloom Precision did their magic to. They just about having to move mountains to get it done. I was lucky enough to handle this gun in person in November when I got a chance to meet Chuck and bonded with him. He was truly a remarkable man.

Here are some of the details on the work done, it isn't all the modifications, only from what I remembered during our brief but precious encounter. The pistol was one of Chuck's most favorite carry gun.

Total dehorn
    Checkered front strap 30 LPI
    Beavertail grip safety
    Checkered underside of slide stop
    Ambi thumb safety
    Short trigger with trigger job
    Heirloom rear sight with matching front sight
    Reliability job
    Custom grips with nitre blued grip screws adjusted for proper indexing
    Blued finish

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

Thanks to all those involved that made the project happened so Chuck could enjoy this beautiful piece.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    ^ '71 LW CO

"I carry that Colt regularly, which I think throws some folks off, being a $7k gun; that said, I don't understand the fondler/collector crowd, either, so I guess we're even. Get nice stuff. Use it. Take care of it. Not rocket science."
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Wow, that is an awesome pistol. I love the wood, too.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fantastic looking gun.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Gorgeous.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast