Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 7.5" DI pistol with 9" 556 Evo rail and HERA linear comp done...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

5.56 7.5" DI pistol with 9" 556 Evo rail and HERA linear comp done...

Edited to add upgrades/changes - new pics coming soon...

Anyway, I forgot - Stats:

Upper:
    DPMS Kitty Kat chrome lined 4150 1:9 barrel
    Young Mfg. M-16 NM Chrome BCG (staked)
    VLTOR MUR-1A Upper
    AXTS Raptor Charging Handle
    Noveske low pro steel gas block
    Generic pistol length gas tube
    556 Tactical/Samson Evolution 9" rail
    Hera Arms linear Comp indexed with A1 lock washer
    Inforce WML on Gear Sector mount at 9 o'clock
    Magpul MBUS pro rear flip sight
    Samson HK-style fixed front sight with Trijicon Tritium post
    Samson Hand Stop

Lower:
    CMT Tactical Billet Lower
    Geissele SD-3G trigger
    BAD-ASS 45 degree ambi safety
    Norgon Ambi-Catch
    Forward Controls Bolt Catch
    V7 Weapon Systems Mag release button
    Umbrella Corp Grip 23
    Fortis QD Endplate
    Riflegear.com receiver extension
    Shockwave Blade Pistol Stabilizer
    Wolff XP carbine spring
    LMT H2 Buffer
    Colt/LMT pins/springs/detents
    Lancer 30 round smoke loaded with Winchester 55gr Ballistic Silvertips

BUILD EDITED FOR UPGRADES/ADDITIONS - NEW PICS TO FOLLOW SOON
    Last edited by Shao; 06-04-15 at 10:22. Reason: CHANGES MADE - TO BE REFLECTED IN PICS SOON

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    I don't care if anyone knows my serial number. Let them waste their time entering it into their computers so that they can somehow mysteriously trace me and convict me on past posts that I've made or whatever it is why people feel the need to blank out their serial #s..

Anyway, I forgot - Stats:

Upper:
    DPMS Kitty Kat chrome lined 4150 1:9 barrel
    Young Mfg. M-16 NM Chrome BCG (staked)
    VLTOR MUR-1A Upper
    VLTOR/BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle
    YHM low pro steel gas block
    Generic pistol length gas tube
    556 Tactical/Samson Evolution 9" rail
    Hera Arms linear Comp indexed with A1 lock washer
    Inforce WML on Gear Sector mount at 9 o'clock
    Magpul MBUS pro rear flip sight
    Samson HK-style fixed front sight with Trijicon Tritium post
    Lower:
    CMT Tactical Billet Lower
    Geissele SD-3G trigger
    BAD-ASS 45 degree ambi safety
    Norgon Ambi-Catch
    Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch
    Seekins Mag release button
    Umbrella Corp Grip 23
    Fortis QD Endplate
    Riflegear.com receiver extension
    Wolff XP carbine spring
    Colt/LMT pins/springs/detents
    Lancer AWM 20 smoke with Winchester 55gr Ballistic Silvertips

My home defense AR.

That is a solid and good looking build. Nice job.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How do you like the samson evo? was considering it for new project.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks... Looks like my brother blocked out my serial after I passed out anyway. Anyway, the Evo rail is awesome - not too slim like the MI SSG2 but very light, solid feeling as all get out, installation couldn't have been any easier and it was cheap to boot. I've never used the straight Samson version but I imagine it's the same. I believe the 556 Tactical version is a bit lighter.

I'm thinking of adding an Evo handstop. I shudder at the thought of adding more weight towards the barrel end but I really appreciate a good handstop and if it's like any of Samson's other stuff, shouldn't weigh very much. Anyone with any experience with the aforementioned accessory?
    Last edited by Shao; 12-20-13 at 06:46.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a Samson hand stop on my ar pistol. I have a 10" evolution rail and put the stop as close to the end as I could with a kx3 on my barrel. The thing doesn't add any weight and i really like the stop there to keep my hand off the pig. Its just the right size to lock your hand onto but not to big as to get in the way. All the other hand stop options I saw required a rail section so they would be nowhere near as low profile.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsden11 View Post
    I have a Samson hand stop on my ar pistol. I have a 10" evolution rail and put the stop as close to the end as I could with a kx3 on my barrel. The thing doesn't add any weight and i really like the stop there to keep my hand off the pig. Its just the right size to lock your hand onto but not to big as to get in the way. All the other hand stop options I saw required a rail section so they would be nowhere near as low profile.
    Thanks, I installed one and you're absolutely right. It weighs practically nothing and is very nice. I also went full ambi and traded the Gunfighter for a Raptor CH off of one of my other guns .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shao, how is the HERA linear comp treating you one year on. TIA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captiva View Post
    Shao, how is the HERA linear comp treating you one year on. TIA
    Just fine. I only have maybe 600 rounds through the pistol but it's held up. Whatever they finished it in cleans up very easily and nicely. It still looks new since I last cleaned it. If you're thinking of getting one, I would use q-tips and solvent to clean the ports after shooting. It may seem like a PITA, but if I'm going to pay $140 for a muzzle device, I want it to look nice at least.

After shooting a few KX3s on short-barreled pistols, I can honestly say that I don't notice any difference in performance as far as signature/noise reduction. I don't own a KX3 myself, but if I were to buy another linear comp for a similar build, it would be another Hera, based solely on looks (yeah I know, I know) - or maybe that PWS CQB.

Feedback Score
    Old thread, new to me. Hera and PWS CQB caught my attention. I have a 7.5" PWS piston upper and bought the PWS CQB for it. It came with a PWS Triad attached. I also got a Hera gen 2 for a 10.3" build. Two friends have 7.5 DI pistols with the Hera gen 2. Their 7.5's shoot 2' fireballs. Mine with the Triad shoots no fireballs. The concussion on theirs is more than mine. I liked the Triad so much, the CQB is still in the box. The Hera is on my 10.3 and seems better suited to that than the 7.5's. For a 7.5" barrel, I'd highly recommend the Triad. Somehow, PWS worked some magic on that. The Hera sure is purdy though, and I must say it will stay on my 10.3 regardless because it looks cool! No experience with the Pig.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lifebreath View Post
    Old thread, new to me. Hera and PWS CQB caught my attention. I have a 7.5" PWS piston upper and bought the PWS CQB for it. It came with a PWS Triad attached. I also got a Hera gen 2 for a 10.3" build. Two friends have 7.5 DI pistols with the Hera gen 2. Their 7.5's shoot 2' fireballs. Mine with the Triad shoots no fireballs. The concussion on theirs is more than mine. I liked the Triad so much, the CQB is still in the box. The Hera is on my 10.3 and seems better suited to that than the 7.5's. For a 7.5" barrel, I'd highly recommend the Triad. Somehow, PWS worked some magic on that. The Hera sure is purdy though, and I must say it will stay on my 10.3 regardless because it looks cool! No experience with the Pig.
    I'm having a hard time believing this - I've shot 7.5" AR pistols with A2s and the fireball and concussion was ridiculous. My Hera Comp (gen 1) significantly cuts down on both. I don't see how a PWS Triad could do a better job. It's basically just another three-prong flash-hider. Not that I'm doubting you, as everyone's experiences will differ based upon many variables, but I did try a Wilson Accu-Tac on one 7.5" and it was barely better than the birdcage. With my Hera, I noticed the difference immediately. It was much more pleasurable to shoot and definitely sent more sound and blast downrange. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast