Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds until a malfunction is deemed "acceptable?"

Feedback Score
    I think I stirred up an old nest thanks to my app going crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think you have to consider a break in period for guns too. I just bought a KAC SR15, and it wouldn't lock back on last round. All reloads, so I grabbed some trusty black hills, same thing. I was shocked.

After a couple mags, never happened again. You really have to give , on rare occasion , the first 200 rounds a consideration. It needs to be vetted after that with 500-1,000 flawless rounds. I had a pistol act goofy one time, then never again. Most guns this never happens.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My G19 that I carry daily has had 2 malfunctions in roughly 5,000 rounds. One was a Blazer round that also would not fire in a Shield or XDM, so I suspect the ammo is to blame. The other was a round of Wolf. I didn't have the opportunity to check it in other guns, but I suspect the ammo was the culprit.

My HD rifle (BCM RECCE) had a slamfire on one of my handloads when I was using a soft primer, but has not happened since I switched to CCI #41. It had a couple light strikes on handloads when the temp was in the 20s, but I think the problem was with the ammo because the same thing happened in a DD. The rifles have been flawless throughout the rest of the 4,000+ rounds we've put through them.

My 686+ hates anything but a Federal primer. And I thought the ones with hammer-mounted firing pins were the "good ones"...

My Waffen Werks AK74 had ejection/extraction problems from the day I bought it. If I loaded 5 rounds or less in a mag it was fine, but with full mags it wouldn't cycle. I sent it to DDI for warranty work and it's been good since, but I've only got about 500 rounds through it since it's been fixed.

For me it depends on the nature of the malfunction. A random stoppage or two in several thousands of rounds is acceptable to me. That's why training is important. A pervasive problem relegates a gun to the sell/plink list. I trust the Glock, Shield, XDM, BCM, and Daniel Defense. I do not trust the S&W or the AK. I'll never trust that particular revolver for defensive purposes, and maybe after a problem-free 1,000 rounds I can trust the AK, but for now it and the revolver are range toys.
    Last edited by MWAG19919; 05-14-18 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If it malfunctions at any time prior to 15k rds I won’t trust it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Assuming that you need to trust the firearm you carry, do you actually fire 15,000 rounds before you'll carry them?

Feedback Score
    If you can run 2 magazines each and everytime without fail (for ever and ever) I don't see why 2 mags wouldn't be acceptable.

For me if I can find reason for a failure I don't care, only those mystery failures bother me...
    The Jeep is Family

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post

Feedback Score
    For a carry gun, I would be looking at causes. If it is something that pops up after a gun gets extremely dirty or fouled, then sure. I am OK with that.

A gun that is persnickety over ammo types, specific magazines, etc. will never be something I stake my life on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If a pistol frequently malfunctions, as in once per mag to once per 100 rounds out the door it goes. It should run if new and lubricated. I've bought three pistols that couldn't get through a magazine without issue. Sold off two [with disclosure] and one was replaced by the manufacturer. I traded off the replacement without even taking it out of the plastic and I never again thought of buying that brand again.
    After several years and 5000+ rounds I've found out what my Colt .38 super likes and dislikes. But it's basic function is sound and it's dislikes are very narrow. My Beretta 92c has been perfect.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Why should it work new and unlubricated? Do you carry it like that? I’ve had pistols that run new, straight out of the box, but I would not be concerned with a gun that needed a few hundred rounds break in. Nor would I consider carrying any gun before running a few hundred rounds through it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast