Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: How many rounds until a malfunction is deemed "acceptable?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Why should it work new and unlubricated? Do you carry it like that? I’ve had pistols that run new, straight out of the box, but I would not be concerned with a gun that needed a few hundred rounds break in. Nor would I consider carrying any gun before running a few hundred rounds through it.
    Yea, about half the new pistols ive neen needed a mag or 2 to break in. Most are over 1000 rds without issue now.

Feedback Score
    My VP9 carry gun finally had its first malfunction the other day. Failure to extract one of my reloads, didn’t recognize the headstamp on the case so must have been range pick up brass. Took several attempts to clear it out of the chamber, kydex holsters and rear sights with a ledge did the trick.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why should it work new and unlubricated? Do you carry it like that? I’ve had pistols that run new, straight out of the box, but I would not be concerned with a gun that needed a few hundred rounds break in. Nor would I consider carrying any gun before running a few hundred rounds through it.
    Pretty sure I said new and lubricated and my semi-autos run wet. Yes, I think a new gun should work out of the box after inspection and lubrication. I have never owned a custom pistol so maybe that would change things.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Pretty sure I said new and lubricated and my semi-autos run wet. Yes, I think a new gun should work out of the box after inspection and lubrication. I have never owned a custom pistol so maybe that would change things.
    I apologize for my poor reading skills regarding lubrication. I still have no problem with guns that require a break in, custom or otherwise.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I apologize for my poor reading skills regarding lubrication. I still have no problem with guns that require a break in, custom or otherwise.
    No problem Sir. We can agree to disagree on a break in period but fortunately we both have choices.

Feedback Score
    Three thousand rounds between stoppages seems reasonable. Now that doesn't mean you don't have to lube it or run a bore snake down the barrel during that time either but short of a full break down and cleaning- a firearm should go at least a few thousand rounds without issue.

Feedback Score
    Some guns need to prove themselves more than others.

With a 1911 I'd like to see 500 rnds through it without a problem. But a Glock I'd carry after 200 rnds to check function, point of aim, and see that it doesn't throw brass in my face. Then inspect it for problems. None found I'd carry it.

But generally for me it's 200 rnds minimum. 500 better, 1000 best.

I believe in keeping my weapons pretty clean and lubricated. I've let a pistol go to about 1200 rnds without cleaning but today I clean them between 250-750 rnds.

Some guns, like my Beretta .25's, get cleaned after ever shoot whether it was 50 rnds or 200 rnds.

Guns last longer and stay more reliable with proper cleaning and lubrication.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-29-18 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like to get 500 rounds through a handgun, with at least 100 of that being my carry load of choice, with no malfunctions that can't be blamed on bad ammo, a bad magazine, or operator error. If I get more than one or two malfunctions within the first 500 to 1000 rounds then I start getting a bit OCD about it.
    I usually do lubricate a new gun before shooting it, because that's the condition I'm going to be carrying the gun in. I don't always have spotlessly clean guns, but they are usually well lubed.

I recently switched from a full sized VP9 to carrying a VP9SK. I had one really weird malfunction within the first 50 or 100 rounds however I think it was due to user stupidity so I didn't hold it against the gun. I started carrying it when it had about 600 through it. Currently it has about 1100 rounds through it with the only hiccup being the really weird one that happened early on.
    However I probably just jinxed myself....

Feedback Score
    I’m ok with a malfunction within the first 100 or so, could just be the parts wearing together or stiff springs or something. But after that, with proper cleaning and lube every 300-600 rounds, I expect a pistol to go until the magazine spring loses enough power to occasionally fail to lock the slide back: about 3,000-5,000 rounds or so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've already posted my 'vetting' scheme.

I'm not a cleaning fanatic, but after a carry gun is fired it is cleaned and lubed before it is carried again. To me, cleaning is a chance to inspect and function check.

Range /training guns are a differing matter.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718