Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rounds until a malfunction is deemed "acceptable?"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    So it would appear that most of you are ok IF the malfunction is ammo or operator error caused, but not gun related correct???

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    So it would appear that most of you are ok IF the malfunction is ammo or operator error caused, but not gun related correct???

C4
    That is correct.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    So now that we have a pretty good baseline for what is deemed "acceptable" rounds fired, what does everyone think Gun Manufacturers believe this round count to be???

Popcorn at the ready!

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depends to a degree. If the malfunction is ammo, or magazine related I am not overly concerned find what the gun likes and crack on. If it is operator related then I may be slightly more concerned, though I can fix that with training. Perhaps one of my personal issues with some people, and am going to use the Beretta 92 as an example here, is when they trash a gun because they screwed up, in the 92's case when they try to slingshot the slide and activate the safety, this is not a gun malfunction but operator error, but have spoken to many would consider this to be a major malfunction of the gun and use it as a reason to promote another platform such usually the Glock. But if the error can be trained around or if is just simply a screw up then it can be fixed and doesn't concern me much. That said, most of my platforms I trust as long as they are running several hundred rounds at least between mean malfunctions. I own an old 92SB that I bought, didn't even clean or oil after it had set in another man's drawer for about 15 years and it stovepiped in the fire 50 rounds. Fast forward to well over 1000 rounds later and having run only the original factory mags and cheap USGI surplus mags 15 round mags I trust it. So I suppose if I have to slap numbers on guns, for pistols I would say at least 500 rounds plus defensive ammo, and with a rifle I would say personally the same. Now I will add that those numbers are if I am running good mags and ammo, not running junk steel in my ARs or cheap mags in my pistols. And considering I am prone induce malfunctions for training purposes and usually end up with cheap ammo in trade that I use for training and range work I usually don't count those malfunctions, though I will usually run a mag for decent ammo through the gun to make sure it was ammo or mag related before leaving the range for my own piece of mind.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So now that we have a pretty good baseline for what is deemed "acceptable" rounds fired, what does everyone think Gun Manufacturers believe this round count to be???

Popcorn at the ready!

C4
    My guess would be about 500...... more than you have already shot.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score

Popcorn at the ready!

C4
    I have read that for the Glock, the Austrian Military trials required no more than 20 malfunctions in 10,000 rounds. See The Complete Glock Reference Guide by ptooma productions.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For me personally, I want 500 trouble free rounds between practice and duty ammo before I feel comfortable carrying a pistol defensively. This does not take into consideration failures from the ammo, which I do not blame on the pistol. As noted above, If I see consistent, like malfunctions that are not easily remedied, no matter round count, this will take the pistol out of rotation as well.

As far as what manufacturers deem acceptable, I would guess 50, as that is the usual count in a box of practice ammo, and sadly, many gun owners don't run much more than that through a pistol at any one time, if ever.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Popcorn at the ready!

C4
    I see what you did there.

It is up to the manufacture. I.E. What HK deems acceptable to what Hi-Point deems acceptable.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm okay with random malfunctions. If I get a couple within a hundred rounds it could be that box of ammo or it could be the magazine. I'd rather check those small possibilities before I look at the gun as being the problem.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    I see what you did there.

It is up to the manufacture. I.E. What HK deems acceptable to what Hi-Point deems acceptable.
    It is interesting to see how each party views this number. From my experience talking with manufacturers, they typically laugh if a customer is upset about a malfunction in the first 500rds. This of course is NOT representative of ALL gun manufacturers (just to be clear).

C4

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast