Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheek weld and lower 1/3 co-witness

Feedback Score

Cheek weld and lower 1/3 co-witness

Sounds silly at first, but I've tired looking up to see reference of a "correct" cheek weld or how people are checking then rifle.

I feel at times I'm checking the rifle incorrectly or possibly not the same when I'm shooting 1/3 co-witness. How much are you (if running 1/3) are cheeking the rifle?

When I cheek the rifle to use my irons for longer range or to simulate a optic failling (fixed sights are LWT rear and DD front) the red dot is not 100% center on the front sight post, it's off to the right just a hair. I'm just curious if other people have had the same thing happen to them.

I'll try and get picture of my cheek weld in 1/3 co-witness position and cheek weld using irons.
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 12-17-13 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Why do you believe that irons and the dot must co-witness?? I never understood the need. BUIS means backup iron sights not simultaneous use iron sights. If you are running a dot why are you looking at the iron sight?? Close the front cover on the RDS and learn how to shoot with it. GH

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That's one of the reasons I don't like fixed front sight. Flip front prevents me from subconsciously trying to align the dot with the front sight post.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Sounds silly at first, but I've tired looking up to see reference of a "correct" cheek weld for this setup.

I feel like I'm not checking the gun enough or correctly. I'm concern that I may be developing bad habits and looking to correct it (if I'm doing something correct). The classes I've taken the instructors have never corrected me or said anything. Which could mean good or bad.

When I cheek the rifle to use my irons (fixed..LWT rear DD front) the red dot is not 100% center on the front sight post, it's off to the right just a hair. I'm left handed if that matters.

I'll try and get picture of my cheek welds
    Are you saying you are not comfortable with the different cheek hold?

Feedback Score
    My whole purpose for using a red dot at all was to say screw cheek weld or at least minimize the need for a perfect one as quick acquisition is what I wanted it for - when i look through the irons the dot sits perfectly on the front post, actually it splits it horizontally. I prefer fold down front & rear to get those d@mn things out of my way when using the dot - many will argue for at least a fixed front & have good reasons for it but I'm not a Leo or military so this is just my range toy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Why do you believe that irons and the dot must co-witness?? I never understood the need. BUIS means backup iron sights not simultaneous use iron sights. If you are running a dot why are you looking at the iron sight?? Close the front cover on the RDS and learn how to shoot with it. GH
    I'm asking how much most people are checking then rifle when running 1/3 and using the red dot. One doesn't cheek the rifle as "full" when running a 1/3 RDS compare to using irons.

I know BUIS is back up but I do run drills to simulate optic going down, thus the need to fully cheek the gun to get behind the irons vs having a more heads up position with RDS.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    That's one of the reasons I don't like fixed front sight. Flip front prevents me from subconsciously trying to align the dot with the front sight post.
    I use to try and align the dot on the front sight post but I don't anymore with 1/3 lower co-witness. When I ran absolute, I did.

Quote Originally Posted by mrvip27 View Post
    Are you saying you are not comfortable with the different cheek hold?
    comfortable as in shooting position using 1/3 witness or comfortable going from one cheek hold to the next?

Going to run some drills this weekend and re-confirm zero. I tend to overthink things, clearly.
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 12-17-13 at 20:21.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm asking how much most people are checking then rifle when running 1/3 and using the red dot. One doesn't cheek the rifle as "full" when running a 1/3 RDS compare to using irons.

I know BUIS is back up but I do run drills to simulate optic going down, thus the need to fully cheek the gun to get behind the irons vs having a more heads up position with RDS.

I use to try and align the dot on the front sight post but I don't anymore with 1/3 lower co-witness. When I ran absolute, I did.

comfortable as in shooting position using 1/3 witness or comfortable going from one cheek hold to the next?

Going to run some drills this weekend and re-confirm zero. I tend to overthink things, clearly.
    I think I understand what you are saying. It just doesn't "feel" right when you are using the 1/3 hold as it does using irons. Maybe absolute cowitness with folding sights would be the way to go?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvip27 View Post
    I think I understand what you are saying. It just doesn't "feel" right when you are using the 1/3 hold as it does using irons. Maybe absolute cowitness with folding sights would be the way to go?
    Some what, yes. Feels odd since my sheik/side of my face is not contacting the stock as much. the side of my jaw bone is really the only part that is making contact with the stock when running 1/3 cowitness. I switch last year and haven't done much shooting in the past year (medical reasons). Probably just need to get more range time with the setup. I just hate creating bad habits, if I do.
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 12-17-13 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Pretty much, I switch last year and haven't done much shooting in the past year (medical reasons). Probably just need to get more range time with the setup. I just hate creating bad habits, if I do.
    I honestly kind of feel the same way. I still havent decided which I like.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Get used to it.

A looser cheek weld is nothing but a benefit when shooting in unusual positions, it's faster, and it'll be just as natural when you get enough time with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast