Thread: These gun cabinets any good?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question These gun cabinets any good?

I can use my CC reward points to get a $75 GC from Cabela's and with me adding a couple guns very soon, I need somewhere to put them.

Are these cabinets any good? I can't buy a super heavy safe as I will be moving this year.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...799&hasJS=true

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I run something like those STACK ON cabinets for safe overflow. I'm not sure if it's actually a stack on or some other brand, but it's basically the same thing.

They're good for what they are. I bolted mine to the wall. It offers a little security for lower value guns, and beats not having the weapons secured at all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    They will keep the kids out and a burgular in a real hurry. But as for someone with a crowbar they will pop them open like a Coke can.
    Im Shihan of Shihan Gear.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I looked at mine yesterday. It's a Sentinel. Probably the same manufacturor as STACK ON. Mine sits recessed deep in a narrow closet. It'd be hard to get any leverage with a prying tool. But given enough time, someone could get into it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

FWIW

I'm not a burgler by any means. I have these kind of locks on mine and I asked a Locksmith about those round key ones and he told me they are the easyist to pick. I personally don't know, but I put mine in a closet that has a lock on the closet door also. It will keep kids/grandkids out and will at least make Mr Burgler work more for it. Do what your budget will allow for you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't have kids. I was planning on putting it in my closet behind clothes. Just something to get by till I buy a house later this year & then decide I want to drop several hundred on a safe.

Feedback Score
    I have a Sentinel (like the Stack-on) and I ended up wearing out the cricle key lock.

I now have attached some stonger clasps and just use a pad lock. These safes are better than nothing.

I hope to someday have a secret room to hide my big fire proof safe. Then leave the Sentinel in plain sight as a decoy!

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-08-09 at 22:05.
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am not trying to encurrage theft or anything but at the point I saw this on TV I figure the cat is out of the bag. This is for an FYI, I saw on tv a guy pick a couple different of those circle locks with nothing more than the back of a bic pen. As I have never tried this I do not know how easy it is, but the guy on television did it to a coke machine, and a bike lock both in a matter of seconds. So if you have a round lock get something else to back it up with.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America