Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Armament AFAB-Mini Flash Hider/Compensator?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    BufordT, I hope the wife is OK. Did they perform a scope or rule out an ulcer?

Re: the AFAB, it looks like there's a lot going on with the design. The outer grid is deeper than I realized. Vents look round like the MAMS. Also, are those miniature baffles on the inside? I'm pretty intrigued so far.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    BufordT, I hope the wife is OK. Did they perform a scope or rule out an ulcer?

Re: the AFAB, it looks like there's a lot going on with the design. The outer grid is deeper than I realized. Vents look round like the MAMS. Also, are those miniature baffles on the inside? I'm pretty intrigued so far.
    They didn't do a scope. They ran a urinalisys and some quick blood work. The second doc said he "wasn't worried" about it and to return if she vomits blood again. He then voluntold me for staying up all night to make sure she doesn't vomit in her sleep and aspirate the vomit. I failed to thank him for that. :/

As far as the AFAB, yeah, it is an impressive little bit of machining. Lots of CNC time on it...more than virtually any other muzzle device I know of.

What you see on the inside didn't show up properly in the photos. They are actually ribs that separate the rows of holes. There is one rounded rib or berm between each row of holes...and each rib/berm was equidistant between rows as far as I could tell.

Also, the inletting after the comp/brake's blastface aperture, where it transitions to the flash-hiding tines, is a nice bevel on the muzzle-side of the blast face disc. Reminds me of an AAC Blackout....as does the overall shape and appearance of the tines.

I predict that this will either fizzle, or sell well and rise considerably in price. It has to, IMHO, as there is just a metric-sh*tload of machine work on this piece. There was only a little bit of a "burr" at the beginning of the threads on the inside which quickly rounded-over once you threaded it on for the first time. Everything else was flawless.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Everything looks good, other than the $24 recommended accu-washer set......that Rainier is currently out of stock, otherwise I would have ordered mine today.
    Last edited by philcam; 01-02-14 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by philcam View Post
    Everything looks good, other then the $24 recommended accu-washer set......that Rainier is currently out of stock, otherwise I would have ordered mine today.
    I should probably comment on the accu-washer. It is an outstanding system and one which I will use on every brake/comp I install from now on. It was stupid simple and was very easy to find which one to use. I ordered my set from Brownells (and picked up some FireClean as well...my new fav lube).

The accuwasher set isn't cheap, but it guarantees you don't have to gorilla your damn muzzle device on. Grant has said it, and it has been my experience as well, putting too much torque on your muzzle device is a sure fire way to DESTROY the accuracy of a good barrel. This is an organized system that allows you to not only perfectly time any muzzle device, but to guarantee a reasonable torque limit to achieve that perfect timing.

I'm very pleased with it.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Can you explain the accuwasher system? Is it graduated in size so you only have to use one instead of a combination of shims to achieve proper alignment? Are they precision ground to maintain bore / MD alignment?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If I understand it correctly, the accu-washer is similar in principle to how the Knight's URX 4 is clocked.

You install the muzzle device hand tight. Let's say its clocked at the 3 o'clock position, so you need 90 degrees more to get the bottom of the AFAB at the 6 o'clock position. The accu-washer is 24 different washers of various thickness. With the accu-washer instructions is a chart that tells you what washer (thickness) to use to get the needed 90 degrees. Add that washer, torque correctly, and viola, a perfectly timed device that works with suppressors etc.
    Last edited by philcam; 01-02-14 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I just looked at Rainier. Did the price jump? I thought these were around $85. Now they're $105.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Can you explain the accuwasher system? Is it graduated in size so you only have to use one instead of a combination of shims to achieve proper alignment? Are they precision ground to maintain bore / MD alignment?

Yes and yes.

PA states it was originally developed for suppressor use to maintain perfect bore concentricity. You only need one. It had zero slop around the threads as you slid it over them. They have a marking code on them that differentiates the several dozen that are in the package. Basically one for every 20 degrees of a circle. The instructions are plentiful and well-written.

I found it was best to align until you're at the 4:00/5:00 after hand-tightening....then put some wrench torque on the washer, release, and then re-torque to get a proper torque value. They don't crush (they are SS and are flat on both sides). To my eyes and my mk-1/mod-0 fingernail, they didn't gouge, either.

Following the above method, I ended up switching washers because the AFAB over-rotated once I re-torqued. No biggie. Just find the next one on the chart and you're there.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 01-02-14 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I just looked at Rainier. Did the price jump? I thought these were around $85. Now they're $105.

The GA M4SD-II was $85...these have been $105 since I've seen them on the interwebz (which hasn't been long, I might add).

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    The GA M4SD-II was $85...these have been $105 since I've seen them on the interwebz (which hasn't been long, I might add).
    Thanks. I must be losing it. I'll just attribute it to muzzle device overload.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast