Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity Tactical Direct Mount Vertical Fore Grip

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Unity Tactical Direct Mount Vertical Fore Grip

Unity Tactical was kind enough to send me a pre-production sample of their direct mount VFG. I know quite a few of you have been curious about this one.

A few key features to start this review off with:

*Hardware included to mount to tubular AND Keymod handguards
    *Less than 1.5 oz
    *Extremely low profile integration with handguard

As a side note Unity Tactical is also looking at the viability of making this model compatible with M-Lok. Nice touch being able to basically have one fore grip that mounts on anything in your inventory.

First off its light. Extremely light. The information sheet that came with mine shows the weight @ 1.5 oz. While talking to goteron on here he stated 1.25 oz and thats closer to what my scale revealed. Grip weighed with keymod mounting hardware:

033 by jax11b, on Flickr

As stated before this VFG is able to be mounted onto practically any tubular style rail. Be it Keymod or any other style tubular handguard. Plus a few you may not think of. I have tried it on a modified Centurion rail, A Samson EVO, Troy Alpha rail, an NSR, and the standard A2 handguards. Thought I had a MOE handguard to try it on but forgot I had sold it. Lock on all handguards tried was extremely solid and easy to install.

Here are a few pictures of said handguards and a close up of their interface with the Unity Tactical VFG:

Noveske NSR 13.5"

049 by jax11b, on Flickr

055 by jax11b, on Flickr

056 by jax11b, on Flickr

Troy Alpha 13"

038 by jax11b, on Flickr

039 by jax11b, on Flickr

Samson Evo 12.37"

041 by jax11b, on Flickr

043 by jax11b, on Flickr

048 by jax11b, on Flickr

My modified 10" Centurion rail that has the recoil lugs shaved off URX 3.1 style. The holes every fifth recoil lug allow me to mount the VFG without any drilling done to the rail. Notice there are no rails where the VFG is mounted. Lock up is still extremely tight:

008 by jax11b, on Flickr

Just messing around but this actually feels very good in the hands. As with all other handguards the area of your hand that makes contact between the handguard and VFG is very comfortable, smooth and with a good transition:

062 by jax11b, on Flickr

064 by jax11b, on Flickr

more to come.......
    Last edited by jaxman7; 07-13-14 at 20:09.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I need this. No doubt I will be picking up a few of these for my KMR and NSR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    too small...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Such a smart company. That vfg looks very well thought out for how the majority of shooters will use it.

Can't wait for their lightweight modular scope mount to become a reality too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifer View Post
    too small...
    Not if you use it in the intended manner.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Too little, too late.

I was all about purchasing one of these months and months ago when they first posted pics (SHOT?) but now I'm all set on the BCMVGKM.

What took them so long?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 07-13-14 at 18:05.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    What you get with the grip:

As with every other product Unity Tactical sells you will not be wanting for allen screws, allen wrenches or any mounting hardware. This is what I received with the pre-production sample vertical fore grip. As a side note all marks on mounting hardware were done by me:

015 by jax11b, on Flickr

Front shot of VFG. The back has the exact same design/texture:

012 by jax11b, on Flickr

Top shot of fore grip without hardware:

021 by jax11b, on Flickr

Hardware for mounting on standard tubular style handguard. Not Keymod. No need to explain installation with this one as it attaches the same as any other direct attach VFG such as Magpul's MOE grip:

018 by jax11b, on Flickr

025 by jax11b, on Flickr

Included hardware for the Keymod system:

022 by jax11b, on Flickr

060 by jax11b, on Flickr

Mounting procedure for the Keymod is as follows:

In the top picture of the VFG you will notice there is the mounting hole (centered) and a threaded brass insert. The short allen screw is threaded all the way down on the brass insert and acts as the Keymod Recoil lug. Next the washer and longer allen screw are inserted through the tunnel of the VFG and threaded onto the Keymod nut (which is the locking lug). After that it is standard Keymod mounting method. Leave the Keymod nut loose. Push nut forward all the way until the recoil lug (allen screw on the UT VFG) can sit in the Keymod cut out and then push down and tighten screw. I have Noveske's Scout mount and their picatinny rail mount. Lock up on the Unity Tactical Keymod version is equally solid.

I like the shape of it. It 'graduates' into the handguard very well and the bottom has a recurve that if your grip comes into contact with the lower portion allows for a very nice pull into the shoulder.

If you are looking for storage this one does not have it. Pretty sure Unity Tactical were going for as light as possible and at 1.2 oz they definitely achieved it but adding a storage cap would have taken away from the light and strong as possible goal. The texture is quite mild and not aggressive. Unity Tactical has done this knowing many will either add skater tape or do a stippling job later on.

It is quite short and very low profile. Here is a picture of me using the VFG. As a point of reference on my handsize I wear XXL Mechanix gloves:

035 by jax11b, on Flickr

In fairness I have not tried any other Keymod compatible VFG so I cannot give a comparison to say BCM's version but the shape of this thing is fantastic and having the ability to pretty much mount on anything is a big advantage to Unity Tactical's take on the VFG. Simple, priced right, easy to install, very light, strong, and quite ergonomic is how I would sum up this vertical fore grip. Unity Tactical has a 'bad' habit of making a product, bringing that product to market and once I get my hands on it I think, "Now why didn't I think of that..simple and brilliant. Their VFG is no exception.

*MSRP will be $29.99 with a street price of $24.95

*Color options will be black or the pictured flat dark earth

*Shipping should start the week of the 14th..this week.

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 07-13-14 at 19:30.

-Ryan Job

"Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaydenB View Post
    Not if you use it in the intended manner.

Exactly. Check out the last picture in my second post.

-Jax

-Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Too little, too late.
    If the UT were keymod mount only and had the same non-tapered side profile as the BCM at the same weight for the same price then I'd agree. But that's not the case.

Feedback Score
    What's the height please? This is one of the more frustrating aspects of these short VFG's. I've been shopping the VTAC, Gear Sector, Samson, and now this one. Nobody seems to publish the dimensions. It's as if they were launch codes...
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast