Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Armament AFAB-Mini Flash Hider/Compensator?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    LMT MWS 16" CL, standard M80 ball used. Rounds fired in slow single shots and a rapid group. MAMS was acquired from Boltcarrier.com. They had a bunch of 5/8"-24 MAMS in stock in Dec (and currently have more 3/4"-24 in stock now).

Doing more testing tomorrow which will lead to a video comparison. Devices testing: LMT A2 style, Griffin Armament 7.62 Flash Comp, Bad Ass Battle Comp, PWS FSC30, Knight's MAMS, and JP Cooley.
    Would love to see this video comparison.

Feedback Score
    Take this comment with a grain of salt because I've never fired a rifle with one but from the research I've done, it seems as if the MAMS isn't really worth the premium. Other devices can do better in some areas and come close in others.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscenejesster View Post
    Take this comment with a grain of salt because I've never fired a rifle with one but from the research I've done, it seems as if the MAMS isn't really worth the premium. Other devices can do better in some areas and come close in others.

I've actually found that it does almost everything better down to 11.5". This is in comparison to the Battlecomp, BCM comp and GA Flash Comp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    I've actually found that it does almost everything better down to 11.5". This is in comparison to the Battlecomp, BCM comp and GA Flash Comp.
    I don't really care for the BC or the BCM Comp. The BC forces the muzzle down and the BCM tries to hard to be a flash suppressor. I found that the BCM performed only slightly better than an A2 when it came to keeping the muzzle flat.

I never used a GA Flash Comp but I've heard very good things about them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We think the accuwasher is because the tolerance IS SUPER TIGHT...not sure yet, but that's the only thing that makes sense I think (I didn't know crush washers could mess with alignment--is that why they void warranties?).
    --

Having come from a long line of SF MB556s, I was surprised at how much I liked the BCM compmod (it was on a 16" middy--and I'm used to a 14.5" carbine length gas 6920). I felt it did a great job, but then, I didn't get a chance to really ring it out.
    The FSC556 on my first 16" seemed to need to be tuned a bit--it seemed to lift a tiny bit up towards 1:30o'clock after shots. BUT the FSC47 (whatever it's called) on my Arsenal SGL21 was AMAZING!! I remember shooting nice groups at 100Y fairly quickly.
    I was about to get a BCM compmod1 (or MAYBE a Griffin M4SDII) on the next 14.5" upper I buy, but I'm waiting for MORE of these AFAB-mini reviews, since it looks very good. The BCM is the cheapest option, but since it's permanent, I'm fine spending however much it takes for me to get what I think is the best hybrid (who knows what might get announced at SHOT).
    Last edited by evi1joe; 01-11-14 at 19:45. Reason: Added accuwasher comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
    We think the accuwasher is because the tolerance IS SUPER TIGHT...not sure yet, but that's the only thing that makes sense I think (I didn't know crush washers could mess with alignment--is that why they void warranties?).
    --

Having come from a long line of SF MB556s, I was surprised at how much I liked the BCM compmod (it was on a 16" middy--and I'm used to a 14.5" carbine length gas 6920). I felt it did a great job, but then, I didn't get a chance to really ring it out.
    The FSC556 on my first 16" seemed to need to be tuned a bit--it seemed to lift a tiny bit up towards 1:30o'clock after shots. BUT the FSC47 (whatever it's called) on my Arsenal SGL21 was AMAZING!! I remember shooting nice groups at 100Y fairly quickly.
    I was about to get a BCM compmod1 (or MAYBE a Griffin M4SDII) on the next 14.5" upper I buy, but I'm waiting for MORE of these AFAB-mini reviews, since it looks very good. The BCM is the cheapest option, but since it's permanent, I'm fine spending however much it takes for me to get what I think is the best hybrid (who knows what might get announced at SHOT).
    Rainier has a new Comp coming out soon. Looks pretty interesting. Hopefully it's around the same price as their current comps.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
    --

I know that crush washers do not always supply uniform pressure on the back shoulder of a given muzzle device....which is why they are virtually never used for suppressor mounts.

The accuwasher is a single piece of steel that has been heat treated and does not "crush". It's supposed to maintain near perfect concentricity with the bore and i can see how it would be more effective at doing so than a crush washer.

Is it the only way to skin a cat? Nope. But I'm not sorry i paid for the system.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 01-12-14 at 09:43.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Rainier has a new Comp coming out soon. Looks pretty interesting. Hopefully it's around the same price as their current comps.

It does look interesting. But it is a dual port brake so flash mitigation will be modest at best.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    One thing I'm confused about? Why do you need the Accuwasher kit for this muzzle device? Doesn't it come with a crush washer? That's what I've always used and never had a problem.
    I'm sure any number of shim kits (that don't crush) would work just as well. Crush washers might not work due to the size of the exit aperture being smaller than average. Because very few barrel threads are truly concentric to the bore, using a crush washer could add a tolerance stack that could result in a baffle strike in a can or a blast face/exit aperture strike in a longer muzzle device like the AFAB if that muzzle device has a small exit aperture.

The AFAB has a noticeable smaller exit aperture than my FSC556. I don't currently have a set of calipers to estimate the difference, but it is readily apparent to the eyeball. The FSC looks like it might clear a .30 caliber projectile. The AFAB is only ever-so-slightly bigger than a .224 projectile.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I ran two agency qual courses today (one for irons, the other for optics). 21 rounds each from the 25, 50, 75, & 100 yard line. AFAB worked as advertised. It's definitely better at reducing recoil than the BC. No muzzle dip using m193 unless i was magazine-monopod prone and didn't touch the fore end of the gun with my support hand. Normal prone, seated, and standing produced no muzzle dip.

Gonna have to shoot it back to back with my FSC to judge muzzle stability during rapid fire strings. Very little wobble on target like with a BCM comp. Still impressed.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast